Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
GF769EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

hp G5000  p/n GF769EA#ABU s/n [Personal Information Removed]It does not have Bluetooth my question can this be added to the laptop It is still in good condition and Bluetooth an asset to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have a major issue working against you regarding upgrading the internal wifi card.

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the user from installing any other model wifi adapter than what originally came with the notebook.

Since HP retired support for that model series as it is more than 10 years old, I cannot find any service manual for it, which would list what model wifi cards were used in that model series.

Also, none of the wifi cards in those old notebooks were combination wifi/bluetooth cards.

If your notebook's model series had optional bluetooth, it was a separate device and cable.

Since I can't find a service manual, I can't check it to see if there was a Bluetooth module and cable listed in the manual.

So, unfortunately, I don't think adding an internal bluetooth adapter is in the cards for you.

They make a couple of model USB Bluetooth adapters nowadays.

This one is BT 4.0 and works very well. I happen to have two of these on two different HP desktop PC's.

It hardly sticks out of the USB port.

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy USB adapter - For Windows 10/8.1/8 / 7 / Vista: ...

They now have newer models that have the BT 5.0 chip.

Amazon.com: Bluetooth USB 5.0 Adapter PC, Bluetooth Dongle for Win10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, Bluetooth Rec...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to use a USB Bluetooth adapter in your notebook if you want Bluetooth.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I guessed that I would need to do that.

Are you able to give details of what I would need? to do the upgrade I was looking at an internal option.

I think there may be a dual Wifi/Bluetooth card,if so would this card be standard and fitted to all HP Laptops

Re: you would have to use a USB Bluetooth adapter in your notebook if you want Bluetooth. have you any Idea which would be the best adapter.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have a major issue working against you regarding upgrading the internal wifi card.

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the user from installing any other model wifi adapter than what originally came with the notebook.

Since HP retired support for that model series as it is more than 10 years old, I cannot find any service manual for it, which would list what model wifi cards were used in that model series.

Also, none of the wifi cards in those old notebooks were combination wifi/bluetooth cards.

If your notebook's model series had optional bluetooth, it was a separate device and cable.

Since I can't find a service manual, I can't check it to see if there was a Bluetooth module and cable listed in the manual.

So, unfortunately, I don't think adding an internal bluetooth adapter is in the cards for you.

They make a couple of model USB Bluetooth adapters nowadays.

This one is BT 4.0 and works very well. I happen to have two of these on two different HP desktop PC's.

It hardly sticks out of the USB port.

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy USB adapter - For Windows 10/8.1/8 / 7 / Vista: ...

They now have newer models that have the BT 5.0 chip.

Amazon.com: Bluetooth USB 5.0 Adapter PC, Bluetooth Dongle for Win10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, Bluetooth Rec...

HP Recommended

Splendid advice.

Thank you.

Ok, dongle it is, as I don't wish to strip it down just to find what Wifi card is within.

Are you able to assist me with another issue?

Windows 10 can’t access the optical drive although It is recognised in my computer.

When I click to open the drive for file view it ejects, with please insert a disc,

File search bar shows this PC and file search and just keeps running.

The disks that I have tried work in my external drive so, this is not the problem.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Regarding the DVD drive, unfortunately I don't know what the problem could be since the device is seen in Windows.

If it was just a matter of playing a DVD, W10 does not come with DVD playing software so you have to install a program.

If you don't have one, most folks use the free VLC DVD player software you can get from the Microsoft Store.

Get VLC - Microsoft Store

If you are just trying to open a file, the drive should be working, so I don't know why it isn't.

I suggest you start a new topic on that problem and see if anyone else has some ideas for you to try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.