Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Gem Cut df0002TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi wondering if the latest model spectre x360 15" gem cut supports usb charging?

If so are there any power banks that could charge this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi  Xewp,

I have the 15 inch HP Spectre Gem-Cut, and I can indeed charge with USB-C (in addition to the barrel plug charger it ships with).  I haven't tried a power bank yet, but I do use a 45W USB-C charger that came with my HP Pavilion X2 12" 2-in-1.  Depending on your battery, it may not work super well.  I've found the 45W barely keeps up with the power drain, and only really charges if I'm not using it.  It seems to charge from either USB-C port.

I'm trying to see what wattage the usb-c port supports, I might buy a beefier USB-C if it doesn't damage the port.

TL:DR - Yes, you can charge the 15" X360 Spectre Gem-Cut with USB-C, and probably can with a battery pack that supports USB-C Power Delivery...but don't expect it to charge quickly.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@xewp,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you are referring to charge the laptop battery using the USB ports, then the laptop doesn’t support USB charging.

However, you can charge other devices from the USB ports.

Please refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06162318

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi  Xewp,

I have the 15 inch HP Spectre Gem-Cut, and I can indeed charge with USB-C (in addition to the barrel plug charger it ships with).  I haven't tried a power bank yet, but I do use a 45W USB-C charger that came with my HP Pavilion X2 12" 2-in-1.  Depending on your battery, it may not work super well.  I've found the 45W barely keeps up with the power drain, and only really charges if I'm not using it.  It seems to charge from either USB-C port.

I'm trying to see what wattage the usb-c port supports, I might buy a beefier USB-C if it doesn't damage the port.

TL:DR - Yes, you can charge the 15" X360 Spectre Gem-Cut with USB-C, and probably can with a battery pack that supports USB-C Power Delivery...but don't expect it to charge quickly.

I hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hi Amruthwo,

That's good news thanks. I read on wikipedia that thunderbolt 3 ports support charging up to a 100W.
I'm planning on getting a 60 or 100w USB-charger or a power bank and have a question.

Do you have a any idea as to what the voltage/mAh values of the charger can/should be..? Or is this not a relevant factor in terms of safety, would not want to fry my new machine!

Your slow-charging issues could be due to the fact that you have the 8750H 6-core cpu. I figure you can circumvent the slow charging by going up to a 100W, just not sure what voltage/mAh levels to take into account... Any help would be great. Thanks, Roger

Edit* Also: are we just ignoring the HP rep. I figure he says it can't be done because it's not recommended and is not mentioned in the manual? I.E. a non-brand charger or alternative method (via USB-C) might damage the device which is why they refuse to acknowledge it?

HP Recommended

I confirm the Targus 65W charges through both USB C ports even during usage. There is no HP warning when it is plugged in. It is tiny and much more portable than the HP brick. HP should have changed the existing power hole to a USB C port and ship with a USB C adapter like the Targus. It would make the gem cut almost perfect (except for the silly backlight timeout issue and lack of precision touch pad).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.