Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi HP experts,

I have USB C Dock G5 at my office and and old USB C Dock G4 at home.

My laptop is EliteBook 830 G6.

I want to know what protocol is running on the type-c interface on both docks, is it USB3.1 or thunderbolt 3? Because I want to purchase new cables for them to replace original ones(to have longer cables to get more convenience), meanwhile I don't want to lose any performances of the docks, so I need to know if thunderbolt 3 cables are actually needed.

BTW, looks like G5 has its cable attached inside its body, is it replicable?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Klascyan 

I have not seen the G4 at work but for the G5 host Thunderbolt cable is included. Please use it.

For Thunderbolt specs, please read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

I believe HP uses Intel implementations for Thunderbolt. Could be the same as on Apple but who knows. I'm not a fan of iSomething. I used iPhone 6 and 6s for few years when I was still at work, no choice.

Regards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Klascyan 

For host, they are both Thunderbolt™. Please get more info from the following document

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the doc you referred, but still confused:

1. What's the difference between "Thunderbolt" & "Thunderbolt 3"? I am not the expert, but I know "Thunderbolt" is very old on Macbook, and it does not support type-c interface. So when the doc says G4 & G5 support "Thunderbolt", does it mean it is actually "Thunderbolt 3"? And what actually speed it supports, 40Gbps? How many pins are enabled in the type-c interface, 20pins or 24pins?

2. To make it simple, could you help to confirm what cables should I purchase to replace the original ones? Like I mentioned, my laptop is EliteBook 830 G6, and I have two docks: USB C DOCK G5 & G4. To keep the best performance, should I purchase Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the doc you referred, but still confused:

1. What's the difference between "Thunderbolt" & "Thunderbolt 3"? I am not the expert, but I know "Thunderbolt" is very old on Macbook, and it does not support type-c interface. So when the doc says G4 & G5 support "Thunderbolt", does it mean it is actually "Thunderbolt 3"? And what actually speed it supports, 40Gbps? How many pins are enabled in the type-c interface, 20pins or 24pins?

2. To make it simple, could you help to confirm what cables should I purchase to replace the original ones? Like I mentioned, my laptop is EliteBook 830 G6, and I have two docks: USB C DOCK G5 & G4. To keep the best performance, should I purchase Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

@Klascyan 

I have not seen the G4 at work but for the G5 host Thunderbolt cable is included. Please use it.

For Thunderbolt specs, please read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

I believe HP uses Intel implementations for Thunderbolt. Could be the same as on Apple but who knows. I'm not a fan of iSomething. I used iPhone 6 and 6s for few years when I was still at work, no choice.

Regards.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.