Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 2 USB-C Thunderbolt ports seem to have died/stopped working. When plugging anything in and checking device manager nothing shows up. They are able to charge devices however like my phone. The non Thunderbolt USB-C port does work and when I plug devices into there they begin to show up.

I went into the startup tools and was able to run a hardware test on both ports and received this error message:

USB PORT CHECK : FAILED

FAILURE ID : 934C03-8709GL-XD7X7G-8D5P03

PRODUCT ID: W2K26UA#ABA

USB PORT CHECK.jpg

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone following this issue with similar USB port problems here is the outcome:

I contacted the HP Support hotline and gave my case number to the representative on the phone.

I went through the various steps I had already done to try and troubleshoot the USB issue on my own:

- Uninstalled the USB drivers in Device Manager and restarted

- Did a factory reset of my machine to restore it to it's factory shipped condition

- Updated to the latest BIOS

- Updated to the latest Windows Update version

- Run startup hardware test

After speaking with HP Support of the phone, it has been determined that the only solution would be to do a laptop service repair on my machine. The repair would cost around $495 since it was most likely the motherboard that would need to be replaced. A discount was offered since it was my first time calling, which brought the price down to $380. They could also send me a free shipping container with postage. The repairs would take about 4-6 business days.

Thank you HP Support for your time and trying to help my troubleshoot this issue. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@ZeroLast,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you download HP support assistant from the below link and install all the updates and check whether the issue is resolved.

Here is how it is done.

Download link: https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette,

I followed the instructions given below and installed all the updates flagged in red (probably the updated color from yellow). One of the updates was for BIOS and the other was for audio. I was hoping the BIOS update would do the trick but unfortunately I'm still having the same issue.

2 Thunderbolt USB-C ports do not work but are able to supply power to something like a smartphone. They do not recognize drives however.

The original USB-C power port continues to work and I'm able to charge my laptop.

HP Recommended

@ZeroLast,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you perform a test on the USB ports following the steps in the below artilce and let me know the result.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

I went through all the steps on the document page and ran the System Tests (both quick and extensive) and also the Component Test.

All tested were marked as PASSED.

Note that when I ran the Compontent Test there was no option to test the USB Ports. So I ran the section where you run the Component Test When Windows Won't Start by pressing F2 on bootup. There, the option to test the USB port shows and it's the same results as my FIRST post but with a slightly different failure ID now:

USB PORT CHECK : FAILED

FAILURE ID : 934C03-8709GP-XD7X7G-8D4703

What do these failure IDs mean?

HP Recommended

@ZeroLast,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

It looks like a hardware issue, I recommend you contact HP phone support to check the available service options for the computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For anyone following this issue with similar USB port problems here is the outcome:

I contacted the HP Support hotline and gave my case number to the representative on the phone.

I went through the various steps I had already done to try and troubleshoot the USB issue on my own:

- Uninstalled the USB drivers in Device Manager and restarted

- Did a factory reset of my machine to restore it to it's factory shipped condition

- Updated to the latest BIOS

- Updated to the latest Windows Update version

- Run startup hardware test

After speaking with HP Support of the phone, it has been determined that the only solution would be to do a laptop service repair on my machine. The repair would cost around $495 since it was most likely the motherboard that would need to be replaced. A discount was offered since it was my first time calling, which brought the price down to $380. They could also send me a free shipping container with postage. The repairs would take about 4-6 business days.

Thank you HP Support for your time and trying to help my troubleshoot this issue. 

HP Recommended

@ZeroLast,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. It started when I simply inserted a flashdrive into the usb port while the laptop was sleeping. It did not register, even in device manager. When I tried a usb mouse the device manager says Device Descriptor Request Failed. It will charge a phone however.

I tried the usual suspects reinstalling drivers etc. Ran the HP troubleshooter and downloaded/installed updates. Still nothing.

Ran the hardware test and received this error message 9TW41R-8SV9RX-MFGGRF-8D3D03.

Thanks,

Steve

HP Recommended

@Steve007 Welcome to HP Community!

It looks like a hardware issue, I recommend you contact HP phone support to check the available service options for the computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.