Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs289wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am working on a HP Notebook - 15-bs289wm and the usb xHCI compliant host controller is coming back with a code 39. This all started happening after the computer was upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, and it is too late to roll back. I have tried uninstalling the driver, updating the driver, restore, and regedit with no luck. Is there a place I can manually download the driver or anything else I should try?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You should run a diagnostic on the usb ports in UEFI mode by tapping esc then F2 as you power up. This will check whether the port is working at the hardware level. If it passes this test then we know it is a driver. Unlikely to be a driver as Windows 10 has the right driver for the USB 3.0 bus built in. If your laptop has lost the UEFI partition you can run the test using a downloadable image for a bootable usb stick. Post back if you need specific help with that. 

HP Recommended

I ran the test in UEFI mode and all the usb port passed.

HP Recommended

Then it is a driver. Try putting in the latest HP Support Assistant.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101214.exe

Then run a driver update search. I believe the USB controller driver is part of the Intel chipset driver. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.