Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

USB controller not working

HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs289wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am working on a HP Notebook - 15-bs289wm and the usb xHCI compliant host controller is coming back with a code 39. This all started happening after the computer was upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, and it is too late to roll back. I have tried uninstalling the driver, updating the driver, restore, and regedit with no luck. Is there a place I can manually download the driver or anything else I should try?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,768 42,557 6,800 11,878
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should run a diagnostic on the usb ports in UEFI mode by tapping esc then F2 as you power up. This will check whether the port is working at the hardware level. If it passes this test then we know it is a driver. Unlikely to be a driver as Windows 10 has the right driver for the USB 3.0 bus built in. If your laptop has lost the UEFI partition you can run the test using a downloadable image for a bootable usb stick. Post back if you need specific help with that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran the test in UEFI mode and all the usb port passed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,768 42,557 6,800 11,878
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then it is a driver. Try putting in the latest HP Support Assistant.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101214.exe

Then run a driver update search. I believe the USB controller driver is part of the Intel chipset driver. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation