Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a weird problem. I am installing a new notebook (ProBook 470 G5) for one of my colleagues. They use a lot of different USB drives for there work.

When I plug in one USB drive, it will not show up in Windows Explorer. So I checked if it will show up in disk management and drive manager. In both it comes up when plugging in. Disk management is assigning the letter D to the drive.
When I open Explorer and navigating to D itself with the navigation bar, I can open the drive normally.

It doesn't matter what USB stick I use, it happens by all of them.
But, when I connect a second USB stick (with the first still connected), this one will show up in the Explorer as the E: drive.

Normally the D drive is used for a CD/DVD player. This laptop doesn't have one, so that should not be the bottleneck.

I would like to know if one of you knows how I can let the D drive show up in Windows Explorer, or how I can set the default drive letter for any USB to for example the E:. Changing the drive letter in disk management for every USB stick is not an option, because the user does only know how to turn on and use the notebook the way he uses it.

Help is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BrokenWing

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

I followed the instructions in this thread -- and they worked: https://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/

Yeah I know it says Win7, but the steps are the same for Win10.

Every time I stuck in the USB stick, Win10 assigned it the same letter.

But ... when I stuck in a different USB stick, that one got assigned a different, low value letter.

So, this only partially works.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood
Thank you for your reply. I know these workaround for one USB stick at a time.
As I wrote in my post, it is not really an option to assign a drive letter to one USB stick at a time, because my colleague uses multiple sticks on a day and is not so handy with computers.

If you have other ideas, please let me know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.