Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,  

I have a problem with USB mouse on my  laptop.  Here's what I tried already:

- problem exists with wireless and wire mouse.  Both do work fine on another computer

- USB flash drive works fine, so I believe that the USB port's hardware seems to be OK.

- When I plug in the mouse, a second USB composite Device appears in my device manager, so the system detects something, but can't put it to work.

- Of course I have already restarted my computer (more than once).

- according to my device manager, USB drivers are up to date.

What could be the problem here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pbe624, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

I have checked the service advisory and found an article related to the issue you have mentioned.

Please try the steps recommended below to solve your issue.

Restoring your system when a working keyboard is available
If a working wireless or PS2 keyboard is available, or if you can use the on-screen keyboard via a working touchscreen, follow these steps to restore your USB functionality:
1.     In the search box on the taskbar, type cmd.
2.     Right-click (or tap and hold) Command Prompt in the search results and select Run as administrator.
3.     In the Command Prompt window, type the command listed below for your version of Windows and press ENTER.
For 32-bit versions of Windows:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17
For 64-bit versions of Windows:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17
4.     Restart Windows.

Or try the steps recommended below.

: Uninstall the update (KB4074588)
•    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
•    Click on Installed Updates on the left 
•    Select windows update (KB4074588) and click uninstall 
•    After uninstalling the update reboot the PC

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Peter____M, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the USB mouse has stopped functioning on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different mouse on your PC?

As you mentioned the USB mouse has stopped functioning on your PC.

First, try connecting the mouse to a different USB port on your PC and check if it works.

If the keyboard and mouse are not functioning on your PC. Try few steps recommended below.

Turn off the computer and then restart it.

Next go to device manager again and Click the arrow next to mice and pointing device, right-click the mouse device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the mouse category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

If your mouse is not working, follow these instructions:

1. Reconnect the mouse.

• If you have a wireless mouse, try to connect the USB receiver to a different port.

• If you have a wired USB mouse, disconnect and reconnect to a different USB port.

• If you have a wired mouse using a PS/2 connection, proceed to the next step.

2. Try the mouse on another computer or a different mouse on the current computer to see if the issue follows the mouse.

• If the issue does not occur on another computer with the same mouse, it could be software related.

• If the issue persists on another computer with the same mouse, the mouse might be defective.

3. If another mouse is not available to test with, test the attached mouse in the HP Hardware Diagnostics. To open the Hardware Diagnostics:

1. Restart the computer and repeatedly press the F2 key while the computer starts up.

The HP Hardware Diagnostics screen opens

2. Select Component Tests from the main menu.

3. Click and run the Mouse test to confirm the level of functionality of your mouse.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot mouse issues with your PC.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with the USB mouse.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned in my OP, I have tried

- using another mouse on this comuter: it also didn't work

- using the same mouse on another computer:  it worked

My spectre only has 1 USB port, so I can't test on another USB port in this computer.

That USB port works fine when I connect other devices, like a USB memory stick.

The F2 hardware diagnostics test was successful, and could even move my mouse pointer there.  After windows startup, again it didn't work.  Seems to be Windows issue then?  Drivers are up to date.

All help is welcome

HP Recommended

Hi,

no help from my side, but I have the same problem, see also in this forum :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/external-keyboard-and-mouse-co...

I also tried the above but no luck. I have this problem also with my external keyboard... . See if that also is not working.

Good luck and hope we both find a solution !

Frank

HP Recommended

@pbe624, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

I have checked the service advisory and found an article related to the issue you have mentioned.

Please try the steps recommended below to solve your issue.

Restoring your system when a working keyboard is available
If a working wireless or PS2 keyboard is available, or if you can use the on-screen keyboard via a working touchscreen, follow these steps to restore your USB functionality:
1.     In the search box on the taskbar, type cmd.
2.     Right-click (or tap and hold) Command Prompt in the search results and select Run as administrator.
3.     In the Command Prompt window, type the command listed below for your version of Windows and press ENTER.
For 32-bit versions of Windows:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17
For 64-bit versions of Windows:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17
4.     Restart Windows.

Or try the steps recommended below.

: Uninstall the update (KB4074588)
•    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
•    Click on Installed Updates on the left 
•    Select windows update (KB4074588) and click uninstall 
•    After uninstalling the update reboot the PC

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was on with Microsoft support for two night with them taking over my pc. they could not fix it. this fixed it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.