Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Folio13 1020US
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've seen posts directing others to the correct USB3 driver for theit laptop... hopefully you can do the same for me.

Without getting into all the details and year of troubleshooting, the significant piece of information is that, twice now, the USB3 port worked when the laptop was formatted/restored to factory settings... and then stopped working within a day, both times.

There's no USB3 device listed in the Device Manager.  The port has power but does not recognize any devices.

Where would I find the correct driver?

Thanks! ashleedawg_paw_tiny12.png

• HP Folio13 1020US
  • Windows 7 64-bit
  • Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
  • Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  • Motherboard Product: 17F8
  • BIOS Version:01F
  • SMBIOS Version:2.7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This would be the correct USB3 driver according to your notebook's support page, but if you don't see a USB Controller device listed under an Other Devices section in the device manager, with a little ! mark next to it, then it isn't a driver problem.

This package provides the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The driver enables USB 3.0 devices.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59929.exe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

This would be the correct USB3 driver according to your notebook's support page, but if you don't see a USB Controller device listed under an Other Devices section in the device manager, with a little ! mark next to it, then it isn't a driver problem.

This package provides the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The driver enables USB 3.0 devices.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59929.exe

HP Recommended

OMG!  For years I've struggled with only having one working USB slot, and I've tried dozens of "fixes" from various sources (including the HP "assistant" that claims to identify any issue but didn't even see an issue), and nothing worked, but I always suspected it to be a software issue...  

But the driver you shared  worked - on my second try!

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:
...if you don't see a USB Controller device listed under an Other Devices section in the device manager, with a little ! mark next to it, then it isn't a driver problem.

I didn't have any !'s showing in Device Manager (and no "Other Devices" section but the related devices were under "Universal Serial Bus controllers") but I had two Intel (as opposed to Fresco Logic) USB3 Controllers showing (which said they were fine).

The first attempt I just installed the driver as-is, and it didn't fix anything.

Today I re-read your message and decided to install the file you linked to, then uninstall the two Intel driver (nervously killing all mouse/touchpad support), reboot via ALT+F4, and then the device re-installed itself on my USB2 port, and I plugged the mouse into the USB3 slot, it took a moment to install, then Voilà! 

Both USB ports now work perfectly... hooray!

I don't have a "before" screenshot but this is what it looks like after the fix:device manager usb3.png

The Intel controller appears to have re-installed itself, and there are twice as many items listed as before, but it's working now so I'm leaving it as-is...

Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.