Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Recently decided to upgrade the processor on my HP Pavilion a4313w.  I reviewed the website here and determined that I'd go with the AMD Phenom x4 9750, 95w model (HD9750WCJ4BGH).

After installing I now get an Unsupported CPU Installed message and then computer automatically shuts down.

Processesor Specs: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=401&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&...

HP Pavilion a4313w Supported Processors:  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

Any thoughts?  My thought was Bios, but after reviewing the HP updates site it says no bios updates for selected model.

NOTE: There are two 9750 models of processors, one is 125w and the other 95w, I have compared the model number to ensure I have the 95w version.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

HI

try this..

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx

put specification according to your model adn you will get result..

No PSU upgradation will work and not also bios upgradation will work..

try it and your problem will be resolved.

**Clicking on the Kudos! white star is a nice way to say thank you on any post that helped you or resolved the problem.**
**Selecting "Accept as Solution" for a reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching the web for an answer**
HP Recommended
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post?

The link you provided is the same one I posted to show that the CPU I purchased is supposed to be compatible with the HP Pavilion a4313w. The processor I purchased is an AMD Phenom Quad Core (X4), AM2+ socket, 95w processor (model 9750). There are two 9750 model CPU's, I have verified by serial that the one I have is the 95w version.

The HP Pavilion a4313w specs indicate the 95w model is supported. And the HP website indicates there are no Bios updates for the HP Pavilion a4313w.
HP Recommended

Hi Simnaj,  Another thing that you can try is following the link that I have provided (at the bottom of this post) to see if your mother board is even compatible with the cpu that you are attempting to upgrade to.

http://goo.gl/GkYGCs

If you need anymore assistance, please feel free to respond.

Thank you.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, did that before I bought the processor.  HP website lists it as compatible.  Researched again, after experiening the subject problems, and again confirmed the processor purchased is listed as compatible, and is actually the processor I thought I was purchasing (i.e. AMD serial number confirmation).

Still no go.

Further research into BIOS updates revealed that I do indeed have the latest BIOS revision (v 5.55).

Still no solution...

Found workaround, though:  Pressing F2 brings up boot menu and allows me to boot into Windows 7, which is recognizing the processor.  However, on restart, I always have to press F2...Otherwise I receive Unsupported Processor message and automatic shut down.  Unfortunately, workaround has it's drawbacks...Cannot access the BIOS settings.

HP Recommended

Simnaj, Do you still have the old processor?  If so, what you can try is ....Shut down the pc and reinstall the old processor.  Once you have it installed, reboot the pc and go into the bios and reset the bios setting to the original default settings.  Once that is completed, reboot the pc to make sure that it will boot back into windows properly.  If it does reboot properly, then do a complete shut down on the pc and remove the power cable from the pc and switch out the cpu to the new one.  reboot the pc and see if you get the message that new hardware has been installed and it should then let you get into windows.  If it will not  boot into windows then attempt to get back into the bios and reset the default settings again to the original manufacturer  default settings with the new cpu installed. 

If this does not resolve the issue then one of two things could be the issue.  Either the cpu has an issue or your mother board has an issue.  This is a compatible cpu for your mother board and it should work with no problems.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Waterboy71

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Got nothing to lose right.

I have already reset the CMOS.

Another thought as well, I have other addin cards. I will remove all of them and concentrate on processor. Then add the addin cards back into the equation.

FYI, all the addin cards worked prior to processor upgrade....so we'll see.
HP Recommended

That could definitely be the issue.  Please do just that. Remove all the additional cards and start from square 1.  If the new cpu works fine upon install and reboot then you can attempt to reinstall all your additional card.  What I think the issue is, is that you could have developed a power issue.  By starting back at the beginning it should resolve all the issues.  I can not guarantee that this will work but I do believe we are on the right path to a resolution.

Thank you

Waterboy71

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Didn't work.  😞

Removed all add-in cards....reinstalled old CPU...Reset BIOS defaults...restarted...shut down w/in windows...installed new CPU...started computer..."same 'unsupported processor message'"

But, as mentioned, if I press F2 it goes straight to boot menu and loads into Windows 7 just fine.  Windows 7 Device Manager and Windows Experience recognizes the processor.  Performance rating went from 3.9 with old CPU to 7.0 with new CPU.  Guess I'll just continue with the workaround until a fix is found.

Thank you everyone for your attempts to help!!!

HP Recommended

You're post helped me solve my unsupported cpu issue, thanks.   But in my case I don't have to hit F2 unti the error pops up, and if I hold F10 when booting, and then hit F2 at the error, I get into the bios.  

Be real, be sober.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.