Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My device has 29.1 GB of storage total and a lot of that storage is being used by the computer and update files that are automatically installed to the computer. I am having difficulty with updates. When I initiated the updates with a 32GB flash drive, they failed because there was not enough storage. Are the updates installed to the notebook first then moved to the external storage? I also want to know if the updates will be successful if I get an external hard drive with 1TB of storage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nothing gets moved anywhere automatically. Downloaded update files seem to take up space perpetually until you find and remove them. Look at this thing I did a while back:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

I suggest installing the new 1903 Buld version of Windows 10 since it has reserved space that will try to keep enough available for upgrades. Instructions for clean install of a new Build are found in the link I gave you. I am going to try 1903 on the purple Stream pictured there and update the thread sometime next week. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Nothing gets moved anywhere automatically. Downloaded update files seem to take up space perpetually until you find and remove them. Look at this thing I did a while back:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

I suggest installing the new 1903 Buld version of Windows 10 since it has reserved space that will try to keep enough available for upgrades. Instructions for clean install of a new Build are found in the link I gave you. I am going to try 1903 on the purple Stream pictured there and update the thread sometime next week. 

HP Recommended

As an update I have to say don't install v. 1903. It takes 7 gigs of reserved space and there is no way to release it. I put a clean install of v. 1903 on the purple stream and could not get it configured with decent useable software (Win 10, AV, MS Office) and have more than about 5 gigs available. I went back to v. 1809 and was able to do the same install and have 12 gigs free space, which is enough to make the computer useable. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.