Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq nx 7400
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Dear all I have Compaq nx 7400
Can I upgrade it to 64 bit...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Mazen_J :

What processor do you have now?

If your notebook has the T5600 or higher processor, it can already run a 64 bit operating system.

If it has a T2xxx processor, you would need to replace the processor with a T5600, T7200, T7400 or T7600.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

@Mazen_J

Congratulations. You still have this machine. It is a good machine isn't it. My machine was so good that why I am here.  I loved the nx and nc series.

Now back to your questions, please check the following general options

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/efcd4783-e948-4f85-9659-7a6e9139a931/upgra...

From my view: You won't get out any benefit for having Windows 64 bit on this machine, even less benefit, therefore please keep it this way.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Thank you for replying @banhein

I don't want to 64 bit windows on it I just want to know if I can change the laptop cpu to 64 bit it is not about the system it about the machine itself
HP Recommended

Hi, @Mazen_J :

What processor do you have now?

If your notebook has the T5600 or higher processor, it can already run a 64 bit operating system.

If it has a T2xxx processor, you would need to replace the processor with a T5600, T7200, T7400 or T7600.

HP Recommended
Thank you for that @Paul_Tikkanen
It was helpful
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended
I only have one question more @Paul_Tikkanen if I may?
If I found the t5600 would it fit in my laptop my Compaq nx 7400?
HP Recommended
And is better to get the 5600 or the 7200
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes it would but, in my opinion, if you are going to go through all that work to upgrade the processor, you may as well get the T7600, which is the fastest/best processor you can install in the nx7400.

They are cheap enough nowadays, since they are so old.  You can get them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T7600-SL9SD-2-33GHz-4M-667-MHz-Notebook-processor-/30238350...

Here is the link to the nx7400 service manual.   The supported processors can be found on page 1-2.

The T5500 is also a 64 bit processor.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035648

HP Recommended

I would like to add one thing...

Your notebook has to have the Mobile Intel 945 GM or PM chipset, and it probably needed to have at least a T2300 processor in order to upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.