Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Thank you so much I'll get it
HP Recommended

Check my last reply...

I would like to add one thing...

Your notebook has to have the Mobile Intel 945 GM or PM chipset, and it probably needed to have at least a T2300 processor in order to upgrade.

HP Recommended
Well I searched my device manager and found that I have mobile Intel (R) 945 /gu/pm/gms/940gml and intel(R) 945GT Express processor to DRAM controller - 27A0
HP Recommended
Well I searched my device manager and found that I have mobile Intel (R) 945 /gu/pm/gms/940gml and intel(R) 945GT Express processor to DRAM controller - 27A0
But I have the T2050 Cpu.... Can I still upgrade

@Paul_Tikkanen
HP Recommended

I'm not 100% sure.

Here's the problem...some nx7400s have the 940 GL chipset and that only takes processors that run at the 533 MHz speed, such as the Celerons and the T2050 your notebook has.

That chipset won't take any processor that runs at the 667 MHz speed such as the T7600.

I have zipped up and attached a free utility that hopefully will tell you exactly what chipset your notebook has, below.

If it has the 945, yes you can upgrade to any processor listed in the manual.

If it has the 940, unfortunately, you won't be able to upgrade.

HP Recommended

@

I really am sorry for disturbing you with my issue and I can't find the words to discribe how much thankful I am ....

the utility you have sent showed me this 

Intel 945GM (Calistoga-GM) + ICH7-M/U

this from my computer device manager

945 gm.jpg

this from the utility you have sent 

945 gm.jpg

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You're good to go with the processor upgrade since your notebook has the Mobile Intel 945GM chipset.

If you decide to upgrade the processor, please post back and let us know how it went.

HP Recommended

I will after i get the cpu it will be here in 45 days

HP Recommended

I'm looking at the BIOS release notes, and it appears that you may have to have BIOS version F.07 or newer to update to the T7600.

F.07 adds microcode updates to support the newer processors.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-compaq-nx7400-notebook-pc/1847094/mode...

If you are not at F.07 or newer and you are running W7, I suggest that you update the BIOS by using the FreeDOS bootable media, because the Windows based flash was only written to work on XP and Windows Vista.

I don't know if it will work on W7 or worse, it might wreck your PC.

Using the DOS flash should not matter what operating system you are running.

HP Recommended
I already have windows 7 ultimate 32 running on the laptop
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.