Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I recently purchased HP Pavilion x360 Convertible Laptop 14-dh0045TX which comes with a 512 GB PCIe M.2 NVME SSD (2280). I would like to upgrade it to 1TB PCIe M.2  NVME SSD. Is it possible with the available Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME SSD, or the Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 ?

Is there a step-by-step guide how to perform this upgrade ?

A solution will be really appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be fine with increasing the storage capacity from 512 GB to 1 TB.

The Samsung drive would provide faster read/write speeds than the Crucial P1, but the P1 may run cooler since it isn't as fast.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the M.2 drive removal and replacement procedure.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible PC

Here is a video for disassembly of a similar model...

🛠️ HP Pavilion x360 14 (14-dh1000) - disassembly and upgrade options - YouTube

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be fine with increasing the storage capacity from 512 GB to 1 TB.

The Samsung drive would provide faster read/write speeds than the Crucial P1, but the P1 may run cooler since it isn't as fast.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the M.2 drive removal and replacement procedure.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible PC

Here is a video for disassembly of a similar model...

🛠️ HP Pavilion x360 14 (14-dh1000) - disassembly and upgrade options - YouTube

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for your reply and illustrated video.

A related question, do you think I can add a SATA 1TB SSD in the 2.5inch slot, without removing the existing 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD ?

In that case just buying and installing a 1TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD would be much more easier. In that case, can you guide with a similar video how to install the 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the slot shown in your video.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

In my opinion it would be much more difficult to add a 2.5" drive.

You would have to open up your notebook and see if the parts are there to add a 2.5" hard drive.

I doubt that they are, and if they aren't, then you need to buy the additional parts listed in chapter 3, page 21 of the service manual...

Hard drive cover
For use in models without a fingerprint reader  L51121-001
For use in models with a fingerprint reader         L51122-001

Hard drive cable         L51095-001

The parts are not orderable from HP, so you would have to do a general search by the part numbers to see if you can find them for sale from a 3rd party retailer.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul for your continued guidance and expert suggestions. I would like to ask one more question, if thats OK with you ------

When I opened the back of the laptop (14-dh0045tx) just to check the PCIe M.2 512GB SSD, I found a sticky white strip on the top of it, which seems very difficult to come off the SSD. Is that the heat sink ? Do that need to be separated from the existing 512GB SSD, and again needs to be pasted on top of the new 1TB SSD (which I am going to replace). 

You also mentioned that the samsung 1TB Evo 970 Plus is going to get heated more, will that cause any related problems ? Or is it safe to be installed without additional problems ?

Please let me know.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the parts list on page 21 of the manual, that is some sort of heat sink/heat shield.

Solid-state drive module foil cover L51103-001

That part is also not available from the HP parts store.

You will either have to try and carefully remove it and reapply it to the new drive, or see if you can find the part from a 3rd party retailer.

I don't understand why HP makes it so hard to get replacement parts.

I see two listings for the part on eBay.  Not cheap for what you are buying.

L51103-001 | eBay

As far as the drive temps, run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below, click on the drives report and it will have the drive temp.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea what the drive temps will be for either of the drives you mentioned.

I have the Crucial P5 in a Dell desktop PC and without any foil or heat sink it idled at over 50 C, which seems hot to me.

The P5 is Crucial's top of the line drive.  Not as good as the Samsung 970, but comes close.

I don't use the PC for anything but web surfing and whatnot, and the drive would run at 57C - 60C

I bought a cheap 4mm heat sink which came with a flexible thermal pad, removed the decorative label covering the SSD chips and placed the heat sink on the drive.  It is secured with 3 silicone bands that came with the kit.

After installing the heat sink the drive idle dropped to 41C and never goes above 47C.

Now that is in a mini tower desktop PC with plenty of air flow and that is the drive temp.

In a notebook PC, there will be much less air flow, so having that foil cover will be a must.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul for all your suggestions and help. I would try to do a 1TB PCIe M.2 upgrade on my existing 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD, and then let you know.

Thanks again. Stay safe.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Make a note of the drive temps before and after you replace the drive.

You stay safe too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.