Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
DV6830US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I want to upgrade my old laptop DV6830US as much as possible. I want to know which CPU I can use, how much RAM, supports SSD?, etc.

Thank you very much for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can go to the T9500 if you have F.45 or higher BIOS installed.

No matter if you get 6400 memory or 5300 memory , the chipset can only run the memory at the 667 MHz speed.

But it can run processors with 800 MHz FSB's.

So the 6400 memory will downclock to 5300...not a problem.

And yes, unless you already have 2 x 4 GB of PC2 6400 memory available to use, I would not go out and buy it.

It would cost more than your notebook is worth.

4 GB of memory (2 x 2 GB), the SSD and upgrading the processor should really help the PC work good.

You really only need to replace the 1 GB memory chip with a 2 GB memory chip to save money.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

These Processors will work with your system:

Intel Core 2 Duo processors:

2.20-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)         453771-001

2.00-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)        455515-001  

1.86-GHz processor (1-MB L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB)         453773–001

1.50-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 453772-001

You have the T550 which should be the third in the list. The top one is the T7500  On page 89 of service manual you can see the various steps for replacing the CPU. It is quite complex for this model.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877

The max RAM for the system is 4GB of PC2-5300, DDRII (667-MHz) On page 3 and 53 of service manual you can see the various configurations.

You can also install SSD which will be faster than a mechanical hard drive. Should be 9.5 mm hard drive, most will come with adapter (small plastic spacer) from 7 to 9 mm. Page 51 of service manual.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Here's the specs:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01399734

And here is the Service Manual:

Manual

It can take up to an Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.2 ghz.

It can take up to 4 gigs DDR2-667 SO-DIMM laptop memory (2 x 2 gig)

And yes it can support a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. The SATA bus is SATA-I I believe so the speed can only be so good, but an SSD would improve the speed quite a bit. Simply replace the existing hard drive with the SSD; they are the same size and shape with mounting holes in the same place and the data and power connections are identical. The hard drive has an adapter piece on it, over the data and power ports which must be removed and reused.

$6 for the processor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T7500-2-2-GHz-Dual-Core-LF80537GG0494M-Processor-SLAF8-/232...

$5 for the RAM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUOMEIQI-4GB-2X-2GB-PC2-5300-2RX8-DDR2-667MHZ-200PIN-SO-DIMM-RAM-For-Laptop-...

$45 for a 120 gig SSD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-320Series-120GB-2-5-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-SSDSA2BW120G3H-SATA-/1226864...

The upside potential of this model is sorely limited by its age and the obsolete hardware platform but these upgrades might make an interesting project and for $55 or so can be cost-justified.

Windows 7 is your optimum Windows version. I don't think there is video driver support for Windows 10.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Juanedr :

Actually, you can install 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 memory in that model for a ttl of 8 GB in PC's with the Mobile Intel 965 chipset, even though the specs state otherwise.

But doing that would be very expensive...And the memory will only run at 667 MHz, but normally the 6400 memory is usually the same price as the 5300 memory.

Also, if you have BIOS v F.45 or newer you can upgrade to the T9500 processor.

See the F.45 BIOS release notes on the support page.

Fix and enhancements:
Fixes issue where the 1394 port may not work after resuming from Standby mode.Adds support for Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processors T8100, T8300, T9300, and T9500. 
HP Recommended

Thank you very much!

I read that information about F.58 BIOS, This said I can install a T9500! Interesting..

So, this laptop can be upgrated from:

T5550 667Mhz processor

3GB (2+1) PC-5300 667Mhz RAM

HDD 5400rpm 250GB

up to:

T9300/T9500 800Mhz processor 15-30US$

4GB PC-6400 800Mhz RAM 

SSD compatible up to SATA II. 120GB 50US$ 

That's correct?

this laptop is only used for surfing internet and basic stuff, 

there will be a problem if I change processor to T9300 800Mhz, and RAM works over 667MHz?

the motherboard supports 800Mhz processor T9300?

really thank you for your answers!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can go to the T9500 if you have F.45 or higher BIOS installed.

No matter if you get 6400 memory or 5300 memory , the chipset can only run the memory at the 667 MHz speed.

But it can run processors with 800 MHz FSB's.

So the 6400 memory will downclock to 5300...not a problem.

And yes, unless you already have 2 x 4 GB of PC2 6400 memory available to use, I would not go out and buy it.

It would cost more than your notebook is worth.

4 GB of memory (2 x 2 GB), the SSD and upgrading the processor should really help the PC work good.

You really only need to replace the 1 GB memory chip with a 2 GB memory chip to save money.

HP Recommended

I had forgotten about the ability to upgrade to the T9xxx series with a BIOS flash. @Paul_Tikkanen is this one of the models where you have to flash the BIOS from a Vista environment or risk damage? The T7xxx series are good processors but the T9xxx series are very good. If you can install a T9500 you should do it. 

HP Recommended

I know for sure that updating the BIOS on the dv6xxx models with the nvidia chipsets and AMD processors is the kiss of death when the BIOS flash is not run in XP or Vista.

I am not sure about the Intel models.  One guy did it with no issues on W7, but I would not risk it personally.

W10?  I definitely wouldn't take the risk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.