Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6000 Celeron M 440 1.86Ghz
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

Can you please tell me if there is a BIOS version supporting DUAL CORE processors for my old notebook?

HP Pavilion dv6000

P/N: GF704EA#AKB

Intel Celeron M 440 1.86Ghz

Socket 479 mPGA

Motherboard Quanta 30BB 66.37

Chipset Intel i945GM Rev. 03

Southbridge  82801GHM (ICH7-M/U)

Current BIOS: F.2E

I replaced the CPU for T2450 2 Ghz, but since then the notebook cannot be turned on.

Can you please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

With BIOS F.2E, the PC supports 2 x 2 GB of memory, which was fixed in a previous BIOS update, though I believe only 3 of the 4 GB will be recognized.

Your notebook's 945 chipset was designed to run processors with a FSB speed of 667 MHz.

You're actually underclocking the motherboard right now with a 533 MHz processor.

The only thing is...you would need to install DDR2-6400 or 5300 memory to get the 667 MHz memory speed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The problem is not the BIOS. Here is the Manual:

Service Manual 

Your laptop that originally had a Celeron processor is supposed to have the Intel 940 chipset which will not fully support the Core 2 Duo processors. Further, the T2450 was not on the list of processors originally shipped with the laptop. Yours does indicate the presence of the 945 chipset and if that is so, up to a T7200 should work. It has to be one of the CPUs on the supported list, however. I believe there is a BIOS update which allows additional CPUs but I am murky on that after this amount of time. @Paul_Tikkanen will know. The BIOS update did not allow dual cores on the 940 chipset motherboards, however. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The parameters from the previous post are taken from CPUZ, so I guess the chipset 945GM is correct.

I took processor T2450 2.0Ghz, with FSB 533Mhz, which seems to differ from the listed T2350 1.86Ghz only in multiplier according to the page: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945GM_Express.html.

Do you think that the multiplier could be a problem too?

A notice from the service manual: page 1-2, chapter 1.1 Feature: the CPU is listed as T2350 1.86Ghz. But page 3-9 and some other have it with "(1.60-GHz), use with dv6200". Does it mean that there are 2 models with the same name, differing only in frequency?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know of any BIOS updates for the dv6000 - dv6499 PC's that added support for new processors.

You have the latest BIOS installed.

You should be able to go to the T7200 as Huffer replied.

Since the T2450 is not on the list of supported processors, I would have to agree with Huffer that may be why it didn't work.

If the PC's BIOS does not have the microcode for the installed processor, it won't boot up.

I would recommend that when you upgrade the processor, you either go big or go home.

I would never consider such a small incremental processor upgrade because it isn't worth the time or effort.

Aim for the T7200. 

Not only is that the best one available for your notebook, but it will allow you to run a 64 bit operating system if you wanted to.

This seller from China ships to Slovakia...the cost is barely more than 4 Euros.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-Mobile-T7200-SL9SF-2-GHz-LF80537GF0414M-CPU-Processor-667-...

You may want to consider installing a SSD in there.  While the drive controller is only SATA I, it still performs much better than a mechanical hard drive.

I have one in a HP nc6400 that has the same chipset.

HP Recommended

The T7200 needs FSB 667Mhz, and I have Bus Speed 133Mhz, FSB 533Mhz, does it mean I would have to overclock what brings a risk of instability and too much heat, or will it run on the base frequencies of my board?

If I'm not mistaken, the motherboard supports only up to 2GB RAM, what is too few for 64-bit OS...

HP Recommended

Hi:

With BIOS F.2E, the PC supports 2 x 2 GB of memory, which was fixed in a previous BIOS update, though I believe only 3 of the 4 GB will be recognized.

Your notebook's 945 chipset was designed to run processors with a FSB speed of 667 MHz.

You're actually underclocking the motherboard right now with a 533 MHz processor.

The only thing is...you would need to install DDR2-6400 or 5300 memory to get the 667 MHz memory speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.