Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello ,

Product  : HP ENVY Ultrabook 4-1046tx

Current Wifi Module : Broadcom 802.11 b/g/n

I need to upgrade my wifi module to a new dual band module preferably the Intel one.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

Could anyone confirm that whether my laptop is Whitelist or not ? 

Thanks in Advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No need to open the case. The series supports the following cards

Supports the following WLAN formats:
● Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 + Bluetooth combo w/ *2 antennas (802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0)
● Atheros 9485GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 3012 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter
● Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

As you can see, no ac card. The whitelist rejects any card not in the list.

Regards.

Note: Device manager will tell you which card is on your machine.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine was built long way before mid 2014. The chance to change wireless card is from slim to none. Do you know the whitelist story don't you ?

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am not sure what exactly is the story for Whitelist,  I just read somewhere thatif your Bios support Whitelist then you may not be able to install some 3rd party hardware modules.

Quick question : If I open my laptop and post the picture of the currently installed module, could you confirm if I can upgrade it to a new Dual band wireless module ?

~Regards

Deepankar Singh

HP Recommended

Hi,

No need to open the case. The series supports the following cards

Supports the following WLAN formats:
● Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 + Bluetooth combo w/ *2 antennas (802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0)
● Atheros 9485GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 3012 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter
● Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

As you can see, no ac card. The whitelist rejects any card not in the list.

Regards.

Note: Device manager will tell you which card is on your machine.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation . Now I can confidently go for a USB wifi module like this .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016K088UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.