Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6747cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion dv6747cl that was vista.  It was upgraded to windows 8.1 when I got it.   Now I have upgraded it to windows 10 and have had driver issues.  I fixed some of the drivers but, can't seem to fix the Battery problem it has.  It is showing no battery present.  How do I fix this???

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

That is not necessarily a driver issue. HP no longer posts drivers for that model but if anyone can find something it is @Paul_Tikkanen 

It is not necessarily possible to run a current OS on vintage hardware. At a certain point the problems outweigh the perceived benefits. Windows 7 would be the optimal OS for that laptop. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @BryantF 

The problem may be that the BIOS needs to be updated if you are not running the latest version, but you can't update the BIOS unless you are running Windows Vista.

I am not aware of any driver issues related to the problem you are having, so I don't have any recommendations for you to try.

HP Recommended

Thanks paul...  How do I go about doing this?  Should I set the laptop back to factory settings then update the Bios?  also how do I set it back to Vista.  Right now all I see is reset this pc which will only clean and reinstall windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I will check with Paul on the issue.  Maybe he can get things going for me.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct...anything you do in W10, is just going to reinstall W10.

You would have to have access to a Vista or XP installation disk to reinstall Vista/XP, or order a Vista recovery kit for your PC from this vendor at the link below.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-15526-recovery-kit-460667-001-for-hp-model-number-dv6747cl.aspx

The product specs for your notebook indicates that it is one of those dv6700's with the Nvidia chipset and AMD processors, correct?

If so, this was the last BIOS update HP release for that model series...

Info file:   F.34    March 30, 2011

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52477.html

Exe file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52477.exe

Under no circumstances should you try to update the BIOS in any other OS but Vista or XP, or you will join the couple dozen or so forum members who permanently wrecked their notebooks by doing otherwise.

HP Recommended

I have ordered the kit to down grade back to vista from windows 10.  when they come in and Vista is placed back on the laptop and bios upgraded, I then upgrade to windows 8.1, then to windows 10,  correct???

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can go right to W10.

No need to install an intermediate OS.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since Microsoft has a record of your PC having been previously upgraded to W10.

HP Recommended

Awesome.... You have been a great help and I truly thank you for it.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.