Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 (15-dc0010nr, Black), Metal
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a HP OMEN 15 (15-dc0010nr, Black), Metal and it will arrive tomorrow feom amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ6VK4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with a 128 M.2, why is the world they would even bother with a 128 is beyond me. I have 2 extra M.2 drives, one is the 256 gb Samsung 970 and the other is a Kingston Digital SA1000M8/240G A1000 240GB PCIe NVMe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMXS6SH/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to HP's tech support both will work however The Kingston had a M&B key whicjh the HP tech said would be the one he would use, while the Samsung has the the M key. Does anyone know if this is correct?HP OMEN 15 (15-dc0010nr, Black), MetalHP OMEN 15 (15-dc0010nr, Black), Metal240GB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD240GB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSDSamsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E250BW)Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E250BW)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Both of those are excellent NVME M.2 drives. The M.2 slot handles either an M.2 "M" or "B + M" key SSD so as far as I can see it is six of one half dozen of the other...pick one and install and enjoy. I would fire it up with the 128 gig in place, make the HP recovery USB thumb drive from the HP Backup and Recovery app, remove the 128, pop in one of the larger capacity M.2 SSDs and run the HP recovery booting off the usb drive you just made and you wind up with an out of the box software load on the larger M.2. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Both of those are excellent NVME M.2 drives. The M.2 slot handles either an M.2 "M" or "B + M" key SSD so as far as I can see it is six of one half dozen of the other...pick one and install and enjoy. I would fire it up with the 128 gig in place, make the HP recovery USB thumb drive from the HP Backup and Recovery app, remove the 128, pop in one of the larger capacity M.2 SSDs and run the HP recovery booting off the usb drive you just made and you wind up with an out of the box software load on the larger M.2. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Great idea with regards to the thumb drive, thanks so much for your expertise.

HP Recommended

Don't lose the thumb drive. The app only lets you make it once although there is a registry hack that will let you reset the meter to zero. Let us know how it works so we can keep the base of knowledge growing and help others better. 

HP Recommended

That is so important, thanks again for the information.

HP Recommended

Huffer,

The Kingston M.2 Nmve Pcie ssd worked perfectly as you said it would. I added the 1 TB ssd for storage and another stick of 8 gb ram. I’m so impressed with this laptop, it's so responsive and the build quality is awesome. I'm not a gamer, just wanted a machine that could handle anything I throw at it. My son is an avid gamer and is dying that his father has a Mean Machine gaming laptop hahahaha. Thanks again for all your knowledge, I truly appreciate you taking the time to assist all of us. Cheer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.