Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY X360 15m-cn0012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade my current WD 256GB NVME on my laptop, rather than adding additional SSD because of speeds. 

My current speeds are approximately as, Read (1720 MB/s) and Write (800-1200 MB/s) and I don't want to downgrade that to SSD speeds. 

Question: I'm looking to buy one of Samsung 500GB NVME M.2 2280 Sticks (MZ-V7S500BW) or something similar to replace, can my motherboard or processor handle speeds of that stick? It says in description ( Upto 3,500MB/s Seq. Read // 3,200MB/s Seq. Write). Also, i'm not sure what my Interface is, it says (PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4, NVMe 1.3) for Samsung stick. 

Can anybody elaborate please? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The M.2 slot on your motherboard is PCIe Gen 3 with 4 lanes (x4) so will theoretically support the full capability of the Samsung 970 Evo Plus. The M.2 NVME in there now is likely a Toshiba and is not as fast. But understand the speeds you are getting now are fast, and you may not get the whole advertised 3500 read. You should see a significant improvement in measurables, however. Its very hard to differentiate at that kind of speed level. You may not "feel" any improvement  as the max straight line transfer speed does not tell the whole story.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The M.2 slot on your motherboard is PCIe Gen 3 with 4 lanes (x4) so will theoretically support the full capability of the Samsung 970 Evo Plus. The M.2 NVME in there now is likely a Toshiba and is not as fast. But understand the speeds you are getting now are fast, and you may not get the whole advertised 3500 read. You should see a significant improvement in measurables, however. Its very hard to differentiate at that kind of speed level. You may not "feel" any improvement  as the max straight line transfer speed does not tell the whole story.

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer,

I totally understand.. Right now its a WD inside (WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1006 (SSD)). 

My idea is to upgrade the NVME itself since i'm running low on Usage space. So i thought why not upgrade it for the better and install a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. 

Thank you for the help. 

HP Recommended

Ahhhhh....makes sense. Thanks

HP Recommended

I found another detail. My current WD SSD used B+M key. If i upgrade, and i'm assuming Samsung's and all mostly new NVMEs are M keys themselves, can i physically fit them. What about the Single Cut and the Double Cut?

HP Recommended

Matters not. M.2 is M.2. The modules are keyed not the slot. B + M or M will fit. 

HP Recommended

Wonderful. Thanks. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.