Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb018nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I was wondering if I could build more RAM for my laptop. My motherboard (HP 836B 46,24) says only up to 16 GB, and my CPU (Intel Core i7-7700HQ) says up to 64 GB. Right now, I have 2x8 GB. I also wonder what speed I could. 2400? Manuals even say differently. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

-2400 is the max speed but it will run 2 x 16 = 32 gigs. You can confirm this with a command prompt inquiry

How To Check Maximum RAM Capacity On Your PC? (technewstoday.com)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Luledziya,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your HP Pavilion Power - 15-Cb018nm (2QD60EA), according to both: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493193.pdf, and: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-power-15-cb015nl, confirms that the max RAM capacity / max RAM speed for your laptop is indeed 2 x 8GB DDR4 PC4-19200, 2400 MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, SODIMM, 260-pin RAM sticks.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Luledziya,

[ADDENDUM] Then again, other industry opinions apparently differ.  For example, MemoryStock is claiming that 2 x 16GB at 2400 MHz are also compatible: Pavilion Power 15-cb018nm Memory Upgrade - HP 15-cb018nm Pavilion Power Laptop Memory (memorystock.c....

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

-2400 is the max speed but it will run 2 x 16 = 32 gigs. You can confirm this with a command prompt inquiry

How To Check Maximum RAM Capacity On Your PC? (technewstoday.com)

HP Recommended

According to this, CMD says 33.554432GB aka 32 GB. 

HP Recommended

Yes, I was wondering what is the solution then? 😂

According to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97185/intel-core-i77700hq-processor-6m-cache-up...

It can go up to 64GB.

By a CMD, 32GB. 

Maybe, try buying only 16GB, and try on one slot (Only 2666MHz or more is available at my location)

HP Recommended

@Luledziya,

I would go with @Huffer's CMD result: wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

For your PC, the readout / max RAM capacity is: 33554432 = 32GB.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

*UPDATE*

Hello everyone,

I bought today Kingston Fury Impact SoDIMM 16GB DDR4 2666MHz just to try, and it worked. I will do next month 16GB more, to try upgrading up to 32 GB. I know it can only go to 2400MHz, but here is hard to find 2400MHz SoDIMM for a low price. 

Thank you for reading. 🙌

Luledziya_0-1677501781587.png

HP Recommended

You do not need to use -2400 memory. -2666 or even -3200 will work and downclock to the correct speed. It is not however, generally adviseable to use "performance" or gaming memory like the Fury Impact. You may find that you have issues if you install a pair of those modules as the timings are too aggressive. I assume you also still have one of the original modules in with it and that is setting the timings. 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, at my local store are only available “gaming” RAMs (SoDIMM). Ordering online isn’t profitable since i’m from Serbia.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.