Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 14-al104ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hp pavilion 14 al104ne has an 1tb HDD and I want to learn if I can add an extra ssd to it ( mostly 256gb) 

Is is possible to upgrade? If yes what type of ssd should I put? The SATA or NVME? What is compatible?

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The service manual does mention support for M2 SATA3 SSD (no PCIe NVMe).

However before buying the drive you should make sure that the actual slot is present on the motherboard. Sometimes it is missing on notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD

On page 32 of service manual you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05207097

iomare_0-1590014227315.png

so if the slot is there you can install an M2 SATA 3 SSD such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar. There is no limit to capacity.

If the slot is not there, your only option is to replace the Hard Drive with a 2.5° SATA 3 SSD.

you will need then to reinstall or transfer the OS to the SSD.

It will give a great boost to the everyday performance of the PC.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Go to HP Support, type in your exact model and download the Maintenance and Service Guide. This will show what options your laptop can handle and includes part numbers for any brackets or cables you may need.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The service manual does mention support for M2 SATA3 SSD (no PCIe NVMe).

However before buying the drive you should make sure that the actual slot is present on the motherboard. Sometimes it is missing on notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD

On page 32 of service manual you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05207097

iomare_0-1590014227315.png

so if the slot is there you can install an M2 SATA 3 SSD such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar. There is no limit to capacity.

If the slot is not there, your only option is to replace the Hard Drive with a 2.5° SATA 3 SSD.

you will need then to reinstall or transfer the OS to the SSD.

It will give a great boost to the everyday performance of the PC.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.