Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ay195nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This post provided a lot of insight & I'm in a near identical situation:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-network-wireless-car...

I've been looking to upgrade the wireless network card in my HP Notebook to support 5Ghz/2.4Ghz & Bluetooth.

I'm doing this because:

1. My router supports 5Ghz, my current card only supports 2Ghz & Bluetooth
  2. Currently Bluetooth reduces WIFI speed dramatically & WIFI will even disconnect once a speaker or controller connects. I believe this is due to interference as both Bluetooth and WIFI work on 2.4Ghz or because my laptop only has one antenna which is plugged into the connector labeled 1 (Main).

I've found online that some HP laptops have a BIOS whitelist, however I also found that some HP laptops either don't have a whitelist or have a very lenient whitelist. Does my model have a strict whitelist?

In the manual for my device I found:

recommended cardsrecommended cards

Of these, only the Intel 3165 & Intel 3168 would fulfill my requirements, but are they my best option?

(these cards are also hard to find online and not very reviewed)

The OP of the linked post above purchased a Intel Wireless-AC 7260 (2x2) & last commented:

"if you want to be able to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time, but you only have one antenna inside your laptop, you need to connect it to connector 2/Aux/Alt, and you need to be able to connect your Wi-Fi to network that works on 5GHz band"

This is completely acceptable to me as I have a router that supports 5Gz & I currently cant use 2.4Ghz wifi and bluetooth at the same time anyways, however is what they said true for all/most cards?

The AX200NGW was one of the first cards I found which supports Bluetooth & 2.4G/5Ghz. It also has the latest technology in both Bluetooth (5.1) and WIFI (802.11ax), has more reviews, and is easier to find on sale making it much more preferable to the other cards, however I'm not sure if it is compatible with my device. Would the 5Ghz & Bluetooth work if installed with only the Aux connected like the OP of the linked post suggested?

Summary:

Does my laptop model have a strict whitelist? (To the best of anyone's knowledge)

Would the OP's method (linked post) work with other cards?

Would the OP's method work with the AX200NGX?

Are there any other recommended cards which are confirmed compatible with my model?

Greatly appreciated,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know why the 7260 worked with wifi and bluetooth on the Aux terminal with one antenna cable.

Personally, I was shocked because I never heard of anyone else that got both the wifi and bluetooth to work with one antenna cable.  They are designed to work with two antenna cables.

However, that was a totally different form factor wifi card...HMC, and the wifi card your notebook has is M.2.

If you look on the forum, you will find folks that installed M.2 cards like the AX200, 3165 AC, 3168 AC etc...and others and the wifi worked fine with one antenna cable but not the bluetooth.  But they didn't care about the bluetooth not working.

If you care about both the wifi and bluetooth working with one antenna cable, then it is a no risk gamble to go with the RTL8821 CE.

The card on the Amazon link you posted will work just fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP does not release any information as to which notebooks have or don't have BIOS whitelists.

However, your notebook should not have a BIOS whitelist.

But your notebook only has one antenna connected to the wifi card you have now, so none of the cards you mentioned will work properly with one antenna.  Either the wifi will work or the bluetooth will work, but not both.

It depends on what terminal you attach the antenna cable to.

So unless you are willing to buy the antenna kit listed in chapter 3 of the service manual, and completely disassemble the notebook including the display panel area to properly run the second antenna wire, you are limited to this one dual band AC wifi card with bluetooth...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, Ali Express, or the HP parts store.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

https://parts.hp.com/Hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=&cc=US&lang=EN&jumpid=

The card has the same throughput as the RTL8723BE card on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router, it has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS.

It would have the same performance specs as the Intel 3165 or 3168 cards.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748

HP Recommended

Thank-you for the response,

So the listed duel channel cards in the manual are not compatible? It is good that I asked..

I believe I found the card here on amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-Replacement-11M-AD113DX-14M-CD0001DX/dp/B07JWB7C1Z/

Is this the correct one?

I will follow through with your advice although I'm still curious about Pajser92's success by just connecting the antenna to the Aux connector.

Do you know more about this?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know why the 7260 worked with wifi and bluetooth on the Aux terminal with one antenna cable.

Personally, I was shocked because I never heard of anyone else that got both the wifi and bluetooth to work with one antenna cable.  They are designed to work with two antenna cables.

However, that was a totally different form factor wifi card...HMC, and the wifi card your notebook has is M.2.

If you look on the forum, you will find folks that installed M.2 cards like the AX200, 3165 AC, 3168 AC etc...and others and the wifi worked fine with one antenna cable but not the bluetooth.  But they didn't care about the bluetooth not working.

If you care about both the wifi and bluetooth working with one antenna cable, then it is a no risk gamble to go with the RTL8821 CE.

The card on the Amazon link you posted will work just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.