Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP NC6320
Microsoft Windows XP

This is a fully working Laptop with no issues with XP Pro.

As old as it is, can it be upgraded to Win7 and then Win10 along with fitting the max. amount of memory.

HP 2000-2a20CA Notebook with Windows 10 64Bit.
Dell Inspiron 15-3552 Notebook with Windows 10 64Bit
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

It can be upgraded to W7 for which you would use the Vista drivers from the support page.

W10 might be a stretch. 

You can count on some things not working in W10 like the fingerprint sensor (if that matters to you).

HP Recommended

Thanks

What would be the max amount of memory I could fit and which spec.

Also could I fit a 500Gb HD.

You say that Win10 would be a stretch, meaning ??

HP Recommended

Max 4 gigs DDR2-667 (2 x 2 gig). Windows 10 would be a stretch because the hardware is antiquated and nobody has taken the time to write a driver which will work with Windows 10 for things like the video so you might be stuck with 640 x 480 washed out video. 500 gig HDD no problem. You could go larger since it is native SATA so no real hardware limit on hard drive size. Its SATA-I but still SATA. 

Windows 7 is going to be your optimal OS as @Paul_Tikkanen  said. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As I briefly mentioned with some hardware, W10 will not work such as the fingerprint sensor.

The driver will install, but no software is compatible to work the fingerprint sensor.

Graphics will be fine.  I have an nc6400 which is the widescreen (16:9) version of the nc6320.

Everything worked as far as I could tell.

However, I could not update the PC to the latest build of W10 v1809.

It would get to a point where the PC had to restart, then that was that.

I had to roll it back to v1803.

So, I don't know if that was just a specific problem with my nc6400, or if it is widespread.

Unless you somehow can get W10 for free, I would not recommend speding $130 to install W10 Home on a notebook that has a market value of half that, with the uncertaintly that it will peform to your satisfaction.

And W10 Pro would cost even more.

HP Recommended

Thanks Guys, 

Update.

Firstly as XP was loaded and knowing Windows 10 could not be installed.

I had Windows 8, so installed Windows not saving anything.

Created a MediaCreationTool and installed Windows 10 Home.

Much to my surprise all went well and everything installed and working except the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. But found a driver for it and all is OK.

Increased the RAM to max of 4Gb.

Although its not a 16.9 screen it still works, but this machine has a multitude of ports which my current machine lacks.

The only issue I want to correct, on Boot up the blue screen asks to choose which OS to boot from.

How can I default that Windows 10 starts direct from boot without the choice or could I remove the old system presuming that's Windows 8 and would that effect Windows 10 in its operation.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi:

Somehow W8 is still on there.

1. try this first...

Go to the windows control panel>system & security>system.>advanced system settings
-- Click on the the startup and recovery button, select settings

-- On Default operating system under system startup tab, click on the arrow to select the default operating system you want (W10).
-- Make sure to check mark the option time to show the list of operating systems.

--Under the time to display list of operating systems, change the setting from 30 seconds to 0.

-- click on ok

2. You can look in the disk management application and delete the partition W8 is installed on.

3. You can start from scratch and reinstall W10, this time deleting all partitions currently on the drive, create one partition and install W10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.