Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy m7-n109dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older laptop that still works perfectly fine, but I use and abuse it.  I'm curious if there are any upgrades that will help with making things go a little smoother.  I mainly use for photography, getting a little more into audio and video/ a little bit of gaming.  As mentioned earlier I currently don't have too many issues other then the computer bogging down at times of heavy use (multiple large programs running) along with in gaming I've noticed it doesn't really lag as long as the power cord is plugged in but on just battery it lags pretty bad (I'm guessing that's just the battery not handling it well?).  Gaming I'm not 100% worried about as I plan to have a tower meant for it but started doing a little bit here and there for now on this since it is capable of doing it.  Is there an upgrade available for RAM, graphics card, etc.? For my graphics card its the Nvidia Geforce which I always update when available, is there any need to actually get a new one or just keep updated it?  As you can probably tell I'm not 100% technical but I get the idea of things, so if something sounds stupid just ask questions to verify any info.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kippster , welcome to the forum.

I don't believe anything sounds stupid!  We always say on these Forums that there are no dump questions.  Unless, you consider the question that isn't asked. 😉

Here is the Product Specifications page for the laptop.  All of the components appear to be at their maximum.  The only upgrade that I would recommend is a SSD for the boot drive.  This will give you better boot times and will increase system performance considerably.  Here are the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory.  You will have to swap out your hard drive (HDD) for the SSD.  There is no M.2 socket on the motherboard.

If and when you decide to buy a gaming desktop, I would be glad to help you choose the best one for your situation.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kippster , welcome to the forum.

I don't believe anything sounds stupid!  We always say on these Forums that there are no dump questions.  Unless, you consider the question that isn't asked. 😉

Here is the Product Specifications page for the laptop.  All of the components appear to be at their maximum.  The only upgrade that I would recommend is a SSD for the boot drive.  This will give you better boot times and will increase system performance considerably.  Here are the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory.  You will have to swap out your hard drive (HDD) for the SSD.  There is no M.2 socket on the motherboard.

If and when you decide to buy a gaming desktop, I would be glad to help you choose the best one for your situation.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks! That's what I was coming to the conclusion of but wanted verification.  I will be upgrading to the SDD soon.  

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Kippster!  Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.