Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 128GB SanDisk SATA M.2 SSD is showing errors which indicate a pending failure.

This is the boot drive and has my OS on it so I want to change it before it fails.  

(I have already installed a Samsung 860 2TB SATA 2.5 inch SSD to replace the HDD that originally came with it and that works fine and has all my data on it, which is also backed up to external storage too)

I have a new M.2 SSD arriving tomorrow, so how do I clone the existing one to the new one, and then set the new one as the boot device?

I have Samsung Data migration software and Disk Magic software, but I am not sure how to connect the new M.2 SSD one with the original still in place, so that I can clone it and then install the new one and set that as the boot drive.

Any info greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If your cloning software creates and exact copy you should be good to go. If the drive happens to be larger than the original then you may need to use disk manager to expand the boot partition or create another partition to take advantage of all the disk space.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You will need to some way connect both drives. As most laptops only have one slot you will need to use a USB to M.2 adapter to connect both and then use the Samsung software.

https://www.amazon.ca/M-2-External-Converter-Adapter-Enclosure/dp/B076DCNZM3

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response 🙂 That's perfect.  

Just to check then - Once  I have connected them both using the adapter, and cloned to the new M.2 SSD, then I just install it, and it will recognise the new SSD and will boo from it? Or will I need to alter the Bios at all to find the new SSD and direct it to boot from it?

Thank you Sir 🙂

HP Recommended

If your cloning software creates and exact copy you should be good to go. If the drive happens to be larger than the original then you may need to use disk manager to expand the boot partition or create another partition to take advantage of all the disk space.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

My New SSD has arrived today, and the adapter will be here tomorrow, so I can get it all sorted soon.

Thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.