Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I purchased my laptop the battery life was about 3 hours.  Now the battery runs downs to empty within an hour.  It is on battery saver and low screen light.  How do I check what could be drawing the battery down so quickly or if it is a battery issue.

Thank you an anticipation of solving the issue! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Petrinalyn

Have you tried to calibrate the battery as suggested in my previous post? 

Go to http://hp.care/2whcLLO and follow the steps listed under "Manually Calibrating the battery".

If the issue persists, then try the steps below:

• Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Battery”  – Right-click and choose “uninstall” on all the entries.
  • Once all the entries are removed from battery, restart your PC.

The PC will reinstall the drivers automatically once you restart the PC. Then try charging the laptop.

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @Petrinalyn - Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

I see that your HP notebook battery is discharging quickly. Appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts so far 🙂

Let's start by performing a battery test as well as an adapter test to determine any hardware defects using the PC hardware diagnostics. Here are the steps:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc to get the Startup menu. Now press F2 key.
  3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
  4. Select the "Component test" and then select "battery test" from the list.
  5. Once done, perform an adapter test as well.
  6. Let me know if the test passes or not.

Go to http://hp.care/2cMZFxJ and perform the tests under “Testing and calibrating the battery using HP PC Diagnostics UEFI (preferred method)”. Make sure to do the test for both battery and the adapter.

If the test passes, perform a battery calibration as well as mentioned under “Manually Calibrating the battery” to resolve the issue.

Thanks, I’ll watch for your reply!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Thanks Dvortex I tried the component test For both battery and adaptor and passed both
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the battery is still draining rapidly.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Petrinalyn

Have you tried to calibrate the battery as suggested in my previous post? 

Go to http://hp.care/2whcLLO and follow the steps listed under "Manually Calibrating the battery".

If the issue persists, then try the steps below:

• Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Battery”  – Right-click and choose “uninstall” on all the entries.
  • Once all the entries are removed from battery, restart your PC.

The PC will reinstall the drivers automatically once you restart the PC. Then try charging the laptop.

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi
Have carried out all actions. Will let you know how long the battery lasts over next day. Thanks so far for your help.
HP Recommended

Hello, @Petrinalyn

Thanks for the update!

Let me know if the issue is resolved by marking my post as a Solution!

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi

The battery life is much improved.  Still not as good but is at least not draining overnight.  Thank you so much for your help and patience!!!!

HP Recommended

@Petrinalyn

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I understand your concern and before you give up, I have a few more steps that may help your cause,

Here are a few things you may want to think about:

• Video about improving your notebook battery performance
  • How long does a notebook battery last?
  • Adjusting notebook battery power plans
  • Factors that contribute to loss of notebook battery capacity
  • Recommended notebook battery care practices
  • Original battery charges slowly, replacement battery charges normally
  • Special recommendations for embedded (not customer replaceable) notebook batteries
  • Tips for conserving notebook battery power

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for your support. Will follow up these as well. Since installing and reinstalling the battery it is lasting a lot longer and not draining when sleeping
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.