cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Video Support - Adapter USB-C to USB-3

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 – 14-cd0005ng

As far as I am informed, my laptop (HP Pavilion x360 – 14-cd0005ng) does not support video transmission via the USB-C port. I have a docking station at my workplace with two monitors connected to it, this works perfectly (mouse, keyboard, LAN etc.) with my laptop via the USB-C connection (except for the two monitors). Now I would like to adapt the USB-C connection (male USB type C) of the docking station to the USB-3 connection (female USB type A) of the laptop, so that a transfer to the monitors works. I have already bought an adapter from another manufacturer (very cheap), unfortunately this one does not support video transfer via USB-C either. Therefore I wanted to ask you if you can recommend me an adapter for this.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,499 43,286 6,937 12,167
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are right. The USB-C port is data only. So basically it is the same as an older type USB port. To have video output from a dock connected to a regular USB port you need a device which has DisplayLink technology. This is a converter that makes a video signal from USB. Simple adapter cables will not do this you need a full-on docking station. The drivers are built in to Windows 7 and higher. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/CADUAL4KDOCKPD-i-tec-USB-3-0-Dual-Display-Docking-Station-Dockingstation-D/1...

0 Kudos
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer. Through your answer, I did some more research and found out that my docking station uses MST and not DisplayLink. I thought DisplayLink was the only technology, I had never heard of MST before. There is no "adapter" or similar for "MST to DisplayLink", is there? No matter if hardware or software... That means there is no way for me to connect the monitors to my laptop via the docking station.
But thanks for the fast and helpful answer!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,499 43,286 6,937 12,167
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My German is not perfect but good enough to figure out that kind of dock requires a USB-C Port with an alt-DP signal. 

You would be better off with a USB 3.0 dock. Any USB 3.0 dock with video output is going to be DisplayLink. You could use an USB C to USB-A (3.0) adapter to connect the dock. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation