Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 – 14-cd0005ng

As far as I am informed, my laptop (HP Pavilion x360 – 14-cd0005ng) does not support video transmission via the USB-C port. I have a docking station at my workplace with two monitors connected to it, this works perfectly (mouse, keyboard, LAN etc.) with my laptop via the USB-C connection (except for the two monitors). Now I would like to adapt the USB-C connection (male USB type C) of the docking station to the USB-3 connection (female USB type A) of the laptop, so that a transfer to the monitors works. I have already bought an adapter from another manufacturer (very cheap), unfortunately this one does not support video transfer via USB-C either. Therefore I wanted to ask you if you can recommend me an adapter for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are right. The USB-C port is data only. So basically it is the same as an older type USB port. To have video output from a dock connected to a regular USB port you need a device which has DisplayLink technology. This is a converter that makes a video signal from USB. Simple adapter cables will not do this you need a full-on docking station. The drivers are built in to Windows 7 and higher. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/CADUAL4KDOCKPD-i-tec-USB-3-0-Dual-Display-Docking-Station-Dockingstation-D/1...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You are right. The USB-C port is data only. So basically it is the same as an older type USB port. To have video output from a dock connected to a regular USB port you need a device which has DisplayLink technology. This is a converter that makes a video signal from USB. Simple adapter cables will not do this you need a full-on docking station. The drivers are built in to Windows 7 and higher. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/CADUAL4KDOCKPD-i-tec-USB-3-0-Dual-Display-Docking-Station-Dockingstation-D/1...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer. Through your answer, I did some more research and found out that my docking station uses MST and not DisplayLink. I thought DisplayLink was the only technology, I had never heard of MST before. There is no "adapter" or similar for "MST to DisplayLink", is there? No matter if hardware or software... That means there is no way for me to connect the monitors to my laptop via the docking station.
But thanks for the fast and helpful answer!

HP Recommended

My German is not perfect but good enough to figure out that kind of dock requires a USB-C Port with an alt-DP signal. 

You would be better off with a USB 3.0 dock. Any USB 3.0 dock with video output is going to be DisplayLink. You could use an USB C to USB-A (3.0) adapter to connect the dock. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.