Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 CC6XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have installed WD SN550 (500GB) NVME drive. But my laptop is not detecting the drive. I have tried reboot, taking SSD out and reinstalling, BOIS (f9) default load, etc. Any suggestion?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@JK_GAWA 

The series supports M.2 SATA SSD drives

Solid-state drive:

● 512-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

● 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with TLC

● 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

Dual-storage configurations:

● 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-mm hard drive + 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

Therefore M.2 VVMe SSD drive won't work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @banhien 

That's not what this manual indicates, which is why I didn't answer the question...I believe something else is wrong.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06525445

Solid-state drive:
For use only on computer models with model numbers 15-cc1xx and 15-cc6xx:
● 512-GB, 2280, Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe), Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe)
solid-state drive
● 256-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

Thanks. I used  c05493762.pdf  first edition April 2017. Your link is the second edition on August 2017.

I also have a copy of c05705784.pdf which is also the second edition August 2017 and another second edition on August 2017 is c05493762.pdf

I don't know how HP controls the documents.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I know for a fact that the 15-cc1xx models support NVMe SSD's because a few folks on the forum have installed them and reported success such as in this discussion below.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/What-interface-does-hp-Pavilio...

Now it is possible that the manual is right about the 15-cc1xx models supporting NVMe drives and it could be wrong about the 15-cc6xx models supporting NVMe drives.

Could be the manual is wrong and only SATA SSD's are supported, a bad M.2 slot, or a DOA SSD.

HP Recommended

As per HP CC1xxx-CC6XX manual, it supports 512 M.2 2280 NVME storage devices. Also there is slot to add the NVME storage devices.  I have gone through the forums. I didnt a find solution, in case, if you run in to issues or drive is not detected. Do I need to upgrade any drivers?

Manual link --> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06525445 (page 2)

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

The SSD should have been plug and play.

No need for changing BIOS settings or installing any special drivers.

My concern is the BIOS isn't seeing it.

Are you sure it is firmly seated in the slot?

That would be the only suggestion I can offer.

One other forum member was certain theirs was when it wasn't detected, and they went back and reinserted it and it worked.

HP Recommended

Yes. I tried installing it 2-3 times. BOIS is not seeing it. 

HP Recommended

Then either the SSD is DOA, or the manual is wrong.

I cannot find any other forum posts regarding someone installing a NVMe drive in a 15-cc6xx model series notebook to prove one way or the other that a NVMe drive should work, like I did for the 15-cc1xx model series.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.