Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy 360 15 inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new computer. Need to use the sleep mode on occasion and the manual says to push the "sleep" button !

The button is not displayed in the quick start guide, nor in the manual and is not to be found on the internet or the HP web site.   Where is it

I have tried the power button, but that shuts the computer off. Tried the Function key  F with various function keys. no work?

I know i can set it so  closing the lid will do a sleep mode, but I want that for shuting the PC off !

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Rich54313,

Sorry to hear about your inconvenience.

Try the below steps. They may be a bit different depending on the system, however:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select Hardware and Sound
  3. Navigate to Choose what the power buttons do
  4. Ignore the Sleep button option and configure the settings to your liking

If you provide me with a specific model/product number, I can look into your user manual and try to find out if there really is a sleep button.

You can also opt for just selecting Sleep when accessing power off options for your laptop.

Kind regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks Eddy for the quick response.

I understand I can change settings in the Control Panel , but I want a "Sleep Button"

The manual said it has one, but does not show the "Physical" location  nor a picture of it and the HP website is no help either

I have the Envy 360 15 M-C

Win 10 w/Intel 7 Chip and 256 SSD

Thank you !

Rich

HP Recommended

Hello @Rich54313,

I understand. But I doubt that there is actually a sleep button, however.

I can confirm but a specific model/product number would be appreciated. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Forum)

Information on how to find a laptop's model/product number is detailed in this HP document.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

PRODUCT NO  3VU7OUA#ABA

15m-ccn0012dx

Hard to read with  impared eyesight

Thanks Ed

Rich

HP Recommended

Hello @Rich54313,

Unfortunately, as I thought, there is no discrete sleep button but rather different methods that can be used to set the PC in a "sleep" state. This is what I found about this computer:

• When the computer is on, press the button briefly to initiate Sleep.
  • When the computer is in the Sleep state, press the button briefly to exit Sleep.

You can initiate Sleep in any of the following ways:

• Close the display (select products only).
  • Select the Start button, select the Power icon, and then select Sleep.
  • Press the Sleep hot key; for example, fn+f3 (select products only).

The last piece of info may or may not work.

Hope this helps in some way.

All the best,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

HP Recommended

Thanks Ed!

I guess they say it in the manual but the real button does not exist

Someone in product engineering should read this !

I tried the Fn key and F3 before and it did not work.

I sincerely appreciate your help and I guess will have to use the start key and select sleep

Have a good day Ed

Rich

HP Recommended

OK, EddyK...

I'm on an HP Pavilion dv7.  Is there a sleep button?

HP Recommended

I have a much older HP (ProBook 4535s) and have long been annoyed with the lack of a sleep button. Furthermore, the workaround so often suggested on various sites (make a shortcut that directs to "Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep" or "Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0", depending on who you ask) does not work— at least on my unit. Instead, it hibernates the computer, which is much slower and clunkier, both in going down and in waking up.

So: I recently bought a Logitech programable mouse, and lo and behold, you can program any of the mouse's buttons to put the computer to sleep!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.