Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15-as031nr(touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm ready to replace my 128GB SSD with a 1TB SSD.  Current drive identifies as "1M253138E-128GM-B" which makes me think the drive I need should have 2 cutouts on the connection end, but I'm not certain of that.  Crucial's website says their 

"Crucial P5 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD     CT1000P5SSD8      Configuration ID:  CT18131928"

is 100% compatible with my model. 
According to the service manual, this laptop came from the factory with 4 different options for SSD:
128 M2, SATA-3 solid-state drive
256 M2, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive supporting TLC
256 M2, SATA-3 solid-state drive supporting TLC
512 M2, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive supporting TLC
Has anyone already been where I want to go and know for sure which 1TB SSD will work with my laptop?  Also would love to hear any issues you had when doing the swap.  Thanks very much. 
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MasonSenvy 

From your information, it is the following one

https://www.cpumedics.com/adata-im2s3138e-128gm-b-128gb-m-2-2280-sata-iii-ngff-solid-state-ssd/

Looks like manual says it supports BOTH M.2 NVMe SSD's and M.2 SATA SSD's. But the existing drive is SATA therefore I would use M.2 SATA to be sure is to be sure. From that point, please use Crucial MX500, not P5.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you @Banhein for your response:

"Looks like manual says it supports BOTH M.2 NVMe SSD's and M.2 SATA SSD's. But the existing drive is SATA therefore I would use M.2 SATA to be sure is to be sure. From that point, please use Crucial MX500, not P5."

It was very helpful because I had not thought about the NVMe vs SATA issue and since my current drive is SATA your suggestion is perfect -- stick with what I have. I am concerned about secondary issues because no one who has done this project on my same model/series Envy laptop responded to my question and I have a couple of concerns that you may be able to help me with. 

First,  the Crucial install guide says I might see some messages about enabling and disabling shared bandwidth of SATA ports, and that I will be able to configure my hardware for optimal performance and avoid malfunctions by obtaining detailed information about your motherboard from the manufacturer. But I don't currently have that detailed information.  Is that something you think I should be concerned about?

Second, the Crucial install guide says If my old storage drive is 128GB and I copy its contents to a larger SSD, the SSD may show up in my system as a 128GB drive, even though it’s actually the larger size. No need to fear, they say – I'll still be able to store more on it, but I’ll need to make some adjustments to the drive’s settings. Are they speaking of BIOS settings?  Motherboard settings? Something else?  Might you be able to point me to an article or two that provides more detailed information about settings changes when increasing a computer's primary/OS hard drive capacity? 

Thanks for your patience with an old EE who studied tubes, but is striving to keep up with technology with his own hands involved. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.