Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

What M.2 SSD is compatible with my EliteBook 850 G2?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@lsb188

HP 850 G2 is a series of many different configurations/options. 

(a) For dual storage machines, they have:

M.2 120GB Solid State Drive & 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive can be configured as primary storage or combined with a SATA drive for dual storage performance

(b) For single storage machines, they have (this can be your machine):

M.2 32GB Flash Cache for Intel Smart Response Technology installed in the factory

More information

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04472797.pdf

Your next question would be: How I can make M.2 Cache to bootable drive. You need to change this from BIOS.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have this manual, it came with the computer.  What Ineed to know is: What M.2 PCIe SSD length do I have in the computer now (28mm?  26 mm?) so I know what to buy to replace it.  I have a 120 GB M.2 PCIe SSD in the computer from the factory.  It is almost full.  I bought an HP M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD that is 28 mm long, and I am concerned that it is too long.  Can someone tell me exactly what SSD I nned to acomplish this exchange?

HP Recommended

I guess no one knows the answer to my question?

HP Recommended

Here is one of the M.2 disks from the parts list:

http://www.upperedgetech.com/hp-803381-001-759492-001-ssd-m-2-250gb-sandisk-laptop-hard-drive/

This has the HP part number sticker on it. It's a 2260 form factor. 22 mm wide and 60 mm long. Most current models use a 2280 form factor.

List is on p. 52 here:

Manual

Post back with any more questions or please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll spend a little more and buy the HP 256 GB M.2 SSD that has been tested on the computer I own.  Not worth taking chances with non-tested hardware.

HP Recommended

I found this thread on Google and want to share my personal experience.

The M.2 slot will accept basically any M.2 PCIe SSD, you don't have to buy HP SSDs.

However, booting from the NVMe drive can be a problem. All non-HP drives which I tested do NOT support NVMe boot, even with the latest HP 850 G2 BIOS. But they work perfectly fine as additional storage if your operation system is currently installed on an 2,5" SATA drive.

You can possibly boot from a third party NVMe drive by using a bootloader on the SATA drive (e.g. Clover or Grub). You get 16GB SATA drives for 5 USD, 120GB SATA drives for 20 USD (Any SATA drive will work just fine).

The WD SN520 is a cheap PCIe M.2 drive for storage extension, be careful to pick the right version (2242/2260).

You can cut the 2280 model with a cable cutter, this is NOT recommended though and will NOT work with most M.2 2280 SSDs. Picture: https://i.imgur.com/Tn0oKnO.png

HP Recommended

You mean like slice through the board and the chips? That sounds like a pretty crazy thing to do. 

HP Recommended

No, here is the picture from the Imgur link:Tn0oKnO.png

The WD SN520 is always a 2242 SSD, the 2260/2280 versions use a dummy PCB to extend the board.

Hence you can cut the "Dummy PCB" part carefully and use the 2280 version in smaller slots.

--- This is not recommended and cannot be done with most SSD models ---

HP Recommended

Agreed. Many have actual chips all the way to the end of the board. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.