Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My dv6 has gotten severely slow. I am currently running Windows 10, and right now it takes 15-20 minutes to wake it up from sleep and log in. Ive done a lot of cleaning and optimizing, but nothing has gotten better on it. It get's very warm very quickly and the fan always seems to be on high. I am looking to try and upgrade the memory, and maybe the processor (to quad-core) at least if possible to see if the performance will get any better. I can barely do anything on it now because it takes way too long! I do have a 1 TB HDD installed a few years ago and that has been working well, but everyday web browsing, microsoft office products and light photo/video editing once in a while are nearly impossible! What memory and processors are compatible with my machine that I could look into upgrading? Any help is greatly appreciated! I am new to the memory upgrades and such so I was having a bit of an issue searching/understanding exactly what I would be looking for! I will post specs below!

Thanks!

Specs:

OS Name	Microsoft Windows 10 Pro	
Version	10.0.10586 Build 10586
System Manufacturer	Hewlett-Packard	
System Model	HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC	
System Type	x64-based PC	
System SKU	XG740UA#ABA	
Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz, 2399 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)	
BIOS Version/Date	Hewlett-Packard F.29, 11/7/2011	
SMBIOS Version	2.6	
Embedded Controller Version	101.56	
BIOS Mode	Legacy	
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	4.00 GB	
Total Physical Memory	3.80 GB	
Available Physical Memory	716 MB	
Total Virtual Memory	7.67 GB	
Available Virtual Memory	1.26 GB	
Page File Space	3.86 GB	

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have a dv6-3155dx model. Here are your specs:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02548013

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 23. Your laptop has the i3-370M CPU and UMA (Intel HD) video so, unfortunately, the processor is not upgradeable as it is soldered to the motherboard. Video upgrade would also require replacement of the motherboard. Processor upgrades are very difficult and rarely cost-justified, anyway but in your case not possible at all unless you replace the motherboard, which is even more expensive and less cost-justified. For the cost of the highest end motherboard and processor and labor you might as well buy a new laptop. 

But all is not lost. The best upgrade you can do is to install a solid state drive. Also you can upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM. Either upgrade will be helpful, done together they would be a game-changer. 

You would need 2 x 4 gig modules specified so:

Memory module (DDR3 PC3-10600 1333-MHz) 4096-MB 599092-001

https://www.amazon.com/HP-VH641AT-4-GB-DDR3-PC3-10600/dp/B0030L3B8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147206631...

This model is very, very picky on memory and it must have 8 black blocks on the side, not 4. Also very intolerant of non-specified memory in general. The memory I linked will work. "How to" on p. 60 of the manual.

Solid state drives are a bit more difficult to select (so many options) and what I need to know is your budget. I recommend at least a 500 gig class SSD and that will cost $120-160. Since you have Windows 10 it would be easy to download recovery media from Microsoft directly and just reinstall, then find drivers and apps and migrate data. The installation will activate automatically the first time the computer is connected to the internet. You can also clone the existing hard drive contents to the new SSD, but I do not recommend that with an installation that is performing poorly. 

We also probably need to discuss blowing out dust and checking thermal management generally. A laptop that suddenly becomes very slow as you describe may be having a hard drive issue, too. You should run diagnostics on the hard drive and also just check to see if it is full. Performance drops like a rock if the hard drive reaches 90% and higher of its capacity. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You have a dv6-3155dx model. Here are your specs:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02548013

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 23. Your laptop has the i3-370M CPU and UMA (Intel HD) video so, unfortunately, the processor is not upgradeable as it is soldered to the motherboard. Video upgrade would also require replacement of the motherboard. Processor upgrades are very difficult and rarely cost-justified, anyway but in your case not possible at all unless you replace the motherboard, which is even more expensive and less cost-justified. For the cost of the highest end motherboard and processor and labor you might as well buy a new laptop. 

But all is not lost. The best upgrade you can do is to install a solid state drive. Also you can upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM. Either upgrade will be helpful, done together they would be a game-changer. 

You would need 2 x 4 gig modules specified so:

Memory module (DDR3 PC3-10600 1333-MHz) 4096-MB 599092-001

https://www.amazon.com/HP-VH641AT-4-GB-DDR3-PC3-10600/dp/B0030L3B8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147206631...

This model is very, very picky on memory and it must have 8 black blocks on the side, not 4. Also very intolerant of non-specified memory in general. The memory I linked will work. "How to" on p. 60 of the manual.

Solid state drives are a bit more difficult to select (so many options) and what I need to know is your budget. I recommend at least a 500 gig class SSD and that will cost $120-160. Since you have Windows 10 it would be easy to download recovery media from Microsoft directly and just reinstall, then find drivers and apps and migrate data. The installation will activate automatically the first time the computer is connected to the internet. You can also clone the existing hard drive contents to the new SSD, but I do not recommend that with an installation that is performing poorly. 

We also probably need to discuss blowing out dust and checking thermal management generally. A laptop that suddenly becomes very slow as you describe may be having a hard drive issue, too. You should run diagnostics on the hard drive and also just check to see if it is full. Performance drops like a rock if the hard drive reaches 90% and higher of its capacity. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you! That is a lot of great information! I believe you answered a good bit of my questions! I guess I picked not the best model for upgrades, but didn't have that in mind at the time of purchase a while ago! I will definitely look into the RAM upgrade and fit what you have linked there. As for the Hard Drive, About 3 years ago, my HDD crashed and had to be replaced. The Best Buy Geek Squad replaced it with a 1 TB HDD, which is only around 60% used or so. I don't believe there would be an issue with the HDD, but I can run a diagnostic on it and check. With cleaning, what would that intail and how do I go about doing that? 

Once again, Thank you for all the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.