Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to know in details what that only type-c port that the laptop has is capable of and what not. HP is marketting that as (for Data Transfer only). However it is supposed to be a Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 1 port and I have bought a number of external hubs who all say are compatible with this exact type of USB port. Yet none of them seem to work?!?!?!  USB port referencing is already a mess without HP making an even bigger mess of it by introducing a "Type C USB 3.1 Gen 1 port" that actually cannot take thousands of devices designed for that exact type of USB port? Am I missing something here? For the sake of clarity, the hub I bought contains a VGA output which is not working and I appreciate (after literally days of research) that this USB is a "Data Transfer Only" USB. However the device I bought is compatible with the USB port in question, so I don't understand what is different in my USB port to other Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports that are out there and which are said to work with this product? I feel they should have a completely different model number if my USB is so inferior to others which are called exactly the same.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It is data transfer only so works like a USB-A old school usb port. What hub did you connect and what is not working? It should be able to drive things like an ethernet port on a hub, audio, and additional usb ports, but will not drive video pass-through unless the device (hub) has DisplayLink capability. USB-C I agree has been a public relations nightmare but the standard is extremely loose. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I feel a little cheated here. Even looking at the USB A ports in my laptop none of them are "blue" even though they are all supposed to be 3.1. Feels to me like HP is plucking old USB ports into 2020 laptops and misrepresenting them as if they are new technology. Particularly since I am connecting monitors at very low resolutions and frequencies which I feel a new USB port should be able to handle.

I first tried two HP hubs but those didn't work. Now I ordered a QGeeM Hub USB C 12 in 1 but that again didn't work either. And now I am going to try Wavlink USB 3.0 hub that has a VGA and 2k HDMI port.

Do you have any experience with any hubs that have worked or may work on these HP models?

HP Recommended

The USB ports are USB-3.1. Not all such ports have a blue center piece but I bet they have an SS next to them. As far as hubs/port replicators it kind of depends on what you mean by work. I have had some HP notebooks with data only USB-C ports and have used an iogear port replicator. 

https://www.cdw.com/product/IOGEAR-USB-C-Ultra-Slim-Dual-Display-Docking-Station-with-Power-Delivery...

I also use this device with my Thinkpad Carbon X-1 which is a full Thunderbolt capable USB-C system so with that all works. I can get one 4k display and one FHD display and it charges the laptop when plugged with a 60w usb-C charger.  On the HP I do not get charging pass-through and I also do not get video except on the vga port at FHD but the ethernet and the audio and the card reader slot as well as the USB 3.0 ports work fine. Also have a simple hub by Cable Creation that has an ethernet and 3 x USB 3.0 ports. That works on every USB-C computer I have with which I have tried it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. The USB As do have an SS next to them. The type C, doesn’t. But it’s a relief to confirm they are all 3.1.

I am still failing to understand however why a hub designed for USB 3.0 is not working as it should with it but I will wait for the WAVLINK to arrive and test that before I get completely frustrated with HP as I have just checked and that hub does has displaylink and is designed for 3.0 USB ports so according to the specs it should connect up to two external monitors in extended mode via displaylink and not via pass through.

HP Recommended

If that does not work something is wrong

HP Recommended

fingers crossed! Gets here on Sunday so will let you know! Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.