Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e184ca
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I look in the Maintenance and Service Guide and they don't talk about how much memory you can upgrade in it ... Only on 32 bit system ...  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The information in the service manual is stating what the maximum memory you can install is on a 64 bit operating system.

It reads...not supported for use on computer models equipped with a 32 bit OS

That is because a 32 bit operating system can only address a maximum of 4 GB of memory.

I have a PC with 32 GB of memory on it and I had to run XP for a short while and it only would use 4 GB of memory.

The PC worked fine with 32 GB of memory in it on a 32 bit operating system.

It was just a complete waste of 28 GB of memory.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

The information in the service manual is stating what the maximum memory you can install is on a 64 bit operating system.

It reads...not supported for use on computer models equipped with a 32 bit OS

That is because a 32 bit operating system can only address a maximum of 4 GB of memory.

I have a PC with 32 GB of memory on it and I had to run XP for a short while and it only would use 4 GB of memory.

The PC worked fine with 32 GB of memory in it on a 32 bit operating system.

It was just a complete waste of 28 GB of memory.

HP Recommended

Mine is a 64 bit System I think I' Look in the detail of HP support assitant and it says 64 bit operating system 

HP Recommended

so the Maximum is 12 gig I already have this ... !!! 

HP Recommended

Yes, if that is what the manual says.

I don't understand why you can't remove the 4 GB chip and put an 8 GB chip in its place, but since I don't own your model notebook and haven't experimented with that, I couldn't say if it would work or not.

It's too much money to gamble on buying another 8 GB chip on the chance it may not work.

HP Recommended
I found some 8GB Samung for 55$ 😉
HP Recommended

If you decide to roll the dice, let us know the outcome.

I have a HP 6910p business notebook, and all specs state the max memory is 4 GB (2 x 2 GB).

I bought 2 x 4 GB of memory, because I knew the Mobile Intel 965 chipset supported up to 8 GB of memory and it worked just fine.

So sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

HP Recommended
Thank you for the advice 🙂
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.