Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-bf175tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I want to upgrade my laptop (HP Pavilion 14-bf175tx) storage from HDD to SDD. My current model has a 1TB HDD (ST1000LM035-1RK172) running on i5 8gen Windows 10 Home.

I have few queries regarding the upgrade,

1. What type of SSD will I be looking at? I came across 3 SSD's; Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSDCrucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD, and Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal SSD. I am not sure if my laptop supports M2 type; if it supports which type is it?

2. Can I use my current HDD if I get the new SSD? Or I have to replace my HDD spot with the SSD?

Also, I found this manual for HP pavilion series 14-bf100 – bf199. I have little knowledge regarding this, and any suggestions or advice would be highly appreciated.

Ps- I have uploaded the picture of the backside of my laptop.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, not NVMe.

Yes, a SATA M.2 SSD has two notches cut into it, where a NMVe M.2 SSD only has one.

I have never seen a M.2 slot with two keys in it before.

However the SATA M.2 SSD fits just fine because one of its notches is in the same place as the one on a NVMe drive.

The other notch in the SATA SSD just doesn't make any contact with a few pins on the other side of the slot.

Never assume that because the slot only has one key in it, that it will support NVMe drives.

That is why it is important to read the manual. 

Some notebook's M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe drives, some only support SATA M.2 SSD's (like yours) and some only support NVMe SSD's.

From your manual...Nowhere in the manual is any reference made to NVMe drives.

M.2 SATA-3 Configurations (TLC):
● 512 GB 
● 256 GB 
● 128 GB 
Dual storage Configurations 
● 256 GB SATA TLC SSD + 1 TB HDD
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 2 TB HDD 
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 1 TB HDD 
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 500 GB HDD 

TLC stands for Triple Layer Cell

https://www.howtogeek.com/444787/multi-layer-ssds-what-are-slc-mlc-tlc-qlc-and-mlc/#:~:text=Triple-L....

The Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 drive you selected will work just fine in your notebook.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05527168

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types and configurations.

You would be able to install a M.2 SATA SSD, install the operating system on that, and use your current hard drive for file storage.

You would need to remove the operating system from the hard drive to boot from the M.2 SSD, because the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have gone through the manual but I am unable to understand whether my laptop supports M2 SATA SSD or M2 NVMe SSD. I have understood that M2 SATA SSD has 2 slots while M2 NVMe SSD has 1 slot. If you could check the backside picture of my laptop which I have attached it has just space for 1 slot, does it mean it is NVMe supported?

I ran my specs through Crucial website and it says Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD is the one that suits my laptop, but I am not sure.

I am a noob at this so please feel free to correct me and help me chose the right type of SSD.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, not NVMe.

Yes, a SATA M.2 SSD has two notches cut into it, where a NMVe M.2 SSD only has one.

I have never seen a M.2 slot with two keys in it before.

However the SATA M.2 SSD fits just fine because one of its notches is in the same place as the one on a NVMe drive.

The other notch in the SATA SSD just doesn't make any contact with a few pins on the other side of the slot.

Never assume that because the slot only has one key in it, that it will support NVMe drives.

That is why it is important to read the manual. 

Some notebook's M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe drives, some only support SATA M.2 SSD's (like yours) and some only support NVMe SSD's.

From your manual...Nowhere in the manual is any reference made to NVMe drives.

M.2 SATA-3 Configurations (TLC):
● 512 GB 
● 256 GB 
● 128 GB 
Dual storage Configurations 
● 256 GB SATA TLC SSD + 1 TB HDD
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 2 TB HDD 
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 1 TB HDD 
● 128 GB SATA TLC SSD + 500 GB HDD 

TLC stands for Triple Layer Cell

https://www.howtogeek.com/444787/multi-layer-ssds-what-are-slc-mlc-tlc-qlc-and-mlc/#:~:text=Triple-L....

The Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 drive you selected will work just fine in your notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I am amazed by your detailed explanation of the answer! It clears a lot of my doubts.

I will go with the M2 SATA SSD. 

Thank you so much!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please reply back and let us know how your notebook's SSD upgrade project went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.