Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've purchased another memory stick for my laptop, but now I wonder how should I install it
My ZBook has 4 memory slots, currently am using slot 4. Should I change it to slot 1 and then put 2nd RAM to slot 3? Or keep it in slot 4 then install 2nd RAM to slot 2 as we usually do with desktop PC?
Which will provides better perfomance?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the exact model of the ZBook? There are many different series.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Mine was HP ZBook 15 G1

HP Recommended

Hi,

You should first use slots one and two under the keyboard and then next slots 3 and 4 under the service door. This is the best configuration and will support dual channel mode.

Click on memory in list on left in the link provided below to see the steps:

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5387800&MEID=21C08E66-1295-4B80-B52E-60F0FE667DF6

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

No offend but are you 100% sure about this? I need accurate information, because I will do this for many ZBook 15 from now on
I am using memory slot under service door, because I think it will keep the RAM sticks away from CPU, GPU heat
But if slot 1 and 2 under the keyboard provide better performance, I will do it
p/s: and if I want to go 32GB RAM, should I use two 16GB sticks or four 8GB sticks? Does my laptop support quad-channel?

HP Recommended

Yes. Did you look at the video links provided? In them, if you click on memory in the list on left, it will tell you that those under the keyboard are the first slots to be used. These are HP service videos.

You can insert max 8GB of DDR3L 1600Mhz in each slot. For best performance and dual-channel support, you should have the same memory in each slot. So for 32GB, you need 4x8GB and it will run in dual channel mode.

Example of RAM:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-zbook-15-mobile-workstation#MEMOR...

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.