Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
stream 14-ax0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I needed a reasonably priced laptop (for my small business). Going online, the refurbished laptops seemed way too overpriced.

So, I recently purchased the Hewlett Packard Stream 14 inch 14-axOXX from Naperville's Target for $325.00. The box boasted  great performance and price.  (Also the electronics salesperson). I was also told that I could easily use USB storage to overcome the mere 32gig hard drive SSD dilemma.(To install other software).

I have tried this. To no avail,  such hasn't stopped limitations in drive storage.

The windows updates claim  I have too little space. (after installing five small programs about 20%  of the drive).

Here is my question. If Hewlett Packard knew that 32 gig drives were not designed to store windows 10 and that 8 gigs memory was insufficient to run most music and video editing software, why promote this notebook for college and professional students and proprietors? It is good with the internet, but very few other tasks.

Now, why assemble a piece of personal laptop equipment{ with) memory that is fused to the motherboard), therefore it cannot be upgraded, and installing a hard drive (of such small storage capacity) if most windows personal computers need 250gig hard drives, (minimum) to handle even everyday windows systems, applications, and extra installed software. (and it's applications)?

If Hewlett Packard were smart, they'd rethink such disposable options and recreate this "netbook" with expandable options.  (Or even a bigger hard drive and extra memory. 16 gig minimum).

Why, the last question, would Hp design such a notebook in this manner and how could I get an exchange for a comparably priced laptop)(or exchange for funds/portion of funds for a down-payment towards a similar laptop) that would have the upgrade features that I need?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

My understanding is that it's a Cloud Based concept and therefore 32Gb is tight but just right.

HP Recommended

And HP did not design this. Microsoft offered extremely discounted licenses on Windows 10 to OEMs who would build and sell these "Cloud Books", to compete with the Chromebooks which also have very limited RAM and storage and just do internet but were selling like hotcakes and cutting into Microsoft's market share. Lenovo has probably sold as many of them as HP. 

I would never have a Smart car, but there is a place for them in the market. Don't listen to the guy or gal in the Blue shirt at Best Buy, or the floor salesman at Target making $9 an hour. Think used car salesman, industry shill. The only protection for consumers is to know your product. The information is certainly out there now. 

Music and video editing? No way on these things. Sorry. Not sure who told you that was going to work. These Cloud Books also have very low end processors that cannot handle such apps even if you could put more storage in them. Its not the RAM. 

If you would be willing to listen and work with us, these 32 gig things can be made to work for basic internet and office apps but it takes a little discipline to keep stuff off the C: drive and an SD card installed and configured and some tweaks to Windows. 

HP Recommended

This laptop was such a waste of money. It is extremely slow. Can’t handle it’s own updates due to lack of storage even though nothing was downloaded. Then if you call for support they try to sell you help. I’m trying to figure out who would say yes let’s sell this junk to our costumers. It tarnishes the hp name. I want my money back. Tried to trade it in. Well that’s $20. But I guess it’s barely worth that. 

HP Recommended

These can be made to work. If people would put as much time into learning how to work with their computers as they do writing complaint letters, they could have these working and updating. We have lots of ways it can be done but that is not what people want I guess. These are cheap. When someone decides to purchase these there is another laptop often right next to it on the display stand for an extra $40-50 which has a bigger hard drive. Nobody takes responsibility for choices any more.  

HP Recommended

Hi! I have this computer and I would like to know how to make it work at least... How to cope with the windows updates.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Since this old thread there is now a KnowledgeBase article on this very point:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

HP Recommended

If anyone had a business , better get the ThinkPad from Lenovo, they're better built and last longer than the HP Stream

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.