Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 445R G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I got a new pro laptop from my employer and facing issues of decreased RAM as below:

RAM bought = 8 GB

usable RAM = 5.9 GB

hardware reserved RAM = 2.1 GB

Why usable RAM is only 5.9 GB instead of 7.9 GB ? Where is 2.1 GB Hardware reserved gone?

It seems 2 GB RAM allocated as dedicated  GPU memory but why so much dedicated GPU on a pro laptop ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Oh yes...lots of folks with the Ryzen processors where that is happening are not happy.

Since this is a peer to peer forum, you may want to contact the HP executive team at the link below, and address your concerns about this matter.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook was designed that way on purpose.

HP released this document a while back, which explains the memory shortage...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06526774

This seems to only apply to some models with the AMD Ryzen processors.

Info on Microsoft PlayReady.

https://www.microsoft.com/playready/overview/

The only workaround would be to install additional memory.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for the link. It looks to me that "HP ProBook 445R G6 " is out of scope of this advisory. But I am facing this issue.

Regards,

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If it has a Ryzen 2xxx or 3xxx processor, that document would apply to your model too.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul. Yes, it's AMD Ryzen 5 3500U APU. 

Ideally, this design should have been a choice for customer as this may not be required for all and may actually waste 2 GB as not used.

Is it possible to change this by any BIOS/graphics setting, as I am unable to find how to ?

Regards,

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to change the memory allocation.

HP locks down the BIOS' and there are very limited things you can do in there.

HP Recommended

Thank you. Hopefully HP would work on this soon and make it optional through next BIOS release.

I believe HP must have been hearing it from a lot of consumers, would like to raise this to right team in HP, so it adds value and they do something to make it optional ? 

Regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Oh yes...lots of folks with the Ryzen processors where that is happening are not happy.

Since this is a peer to peer forum, you may want to contact the HP executive team at the link below, and address your concerns about this matter.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Many Thanks. Just sent my feedback on the same and asked to make it optional to save customers going to other brands.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.