Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc059nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been experiencing an issue related to my regular automated Windows updates on Windows 10. The issue I am having is that once the update attempts to complete I get the followin error message:

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.

HP Inc. - HIDClass - 10/30/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.1.8.1 - Error 0x800703e3

I have attempted to fix this issue in over a dozen ways and even had the assistance of Microsoft's tech support team helping me and they came to the conclusion that the issue must be that HP has not provided this update for the driver. 

The failing update is HP Inc. HIDClass 2.1.8.1 and it is receiving an error of 0x800703e3 (which is the wireless button driver)

I checked the driver update through device manager but it says there is no update available for the wireless button driver.

I also checked HP's website and saw that this update does not have an available download specific for this updated version of the wireless button driver.

I wanted to have HP help me with this via chat support but their chatbot is just not helpful for complex questions so I am wondering how could I go about finding this update so that I can attempt to download and conduct the update manually? Or if anyone has any other ideas? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This worked for me. Thank you.

I think people are having trouble understanding the vague advice given on here so far. Plus the Microsoft Update Catalogue page is a bit confusing at first glance. I think this is a compatability issue with the latest big Windows 10 update that we downloaded a few days ago. 

Anyway just to be clear, we have to install the driver manually. After completely uninstalling the driver in Device Manager, HP Assistant asked me to reinstall.  However the latest Wireless button driver that HP Assistant asks us to download is 2.1.4.1 The driver we are all having trouble installing via Windows Update is 2.1.8.1

Go to the link http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=hp+wireless+button

Select the Windows version for the driver. In most peoples case it will be Windows 10 version 1809 (The second option down!)

Create a folder on your desktop and extract the files into that. 

Open device manager and go to 'Human Interface Devices' then HP Wireless Button Driver and then the Update Driver tab.

Select the folder on your desktop as your source and it will update. 

Reboot Windows then run Windows Update and voila the error should be gone!

Hope this is clearer for people.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.

HP Inc. - HIDClass - 10/30/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.1.8.1 - Error 0x800703e3

HP Recommended

Download HP Support Assistant and install the wireless button driver through it.

Download the show/hide update troubleshooter and hide the HIDclass.sys update

HP Recommended

I also have tried everything.  Went to troubleshooter thinking it was a windows update issue but nothing detected.  Surely has to be a generic update problem, but who is responsible for fixing it?  HP or Microsoft?

HP Recommended

I have been to my computers downloads and all they have is version 2.1.7.1

HP Recommended

And my network card turns off and back on randomly also.

HP Recommended

*I no longer see the update popping up

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

How to put those files IN is another story...got them......no .exe file...where do they go...heheh

HP Recommended

Solved: Must unzip all files in .cab file to new folder ...then update the driver in the new folder that you put the unzipped files into. No more win update error either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.