Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Sorry again, a new BSoD a few moments ago, but this time it didn't collected any information and it didn't produced any new minidump or kernel memory dump file.

What can I do in this case?

Paolo

Edit: A third BSoD few moments after, now with dump file. I added it here as well:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k7ckmc_9ogz0nhpBw6fkWUU5g8ewy2gB

One things more: I noticed, really by chance, then when Firefox was loading this page (and all the others of the HP forum) at a certain point he tried to connect and transfer data from "met2.hp.com" and right after from "ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com". Is it possible that something of Kaspersky survived to Revo?

Another thing more: since it is becoming really frustrating and problematic (from a working viewpoint), could it be useful if I unisntall (using Revo) also some of the other softwares I installed before the first BSoD appeared?

Many thanks for your patience and your support,

Paolo

HP Recommended

@Paolo18 wrote:

Dear IT_WinSec,

Thanks for your answer. I will open a new thread on Windows community to deal with the Event 556, which is continuing generating hundreds of errors per hour.

In the meanwhile, however, I started reading the instruction to perform the chkdsk and I have a couple of questions:

1. is it dangerous for the computer?
    I mean, if I ask windows to search for damaged disk sections or disk errors and automatically repair them, isn't there the risk that some user data are lost/applications or software will not work properly/windows damages itself?
    (the question is not completely sincere, to be honest: my last before the last laptop "died because of something like chkdsk" in the sense that one day Windows performed a check and repair of the HDD and corrupted the "index section", or something similar. It simply failed the reparation part and the laptop became essentially a brick. I know that that time the cause could have been anything else and the check and repair of the disk just the last "symptom" showing up. But I am a bit worried anyway)

No, it is not dangerous. If there is something it cannot fix, it would be most likely due to hardware failure. You do not face hardware HDD issue since the F2 BIOS check confirmed earlier your HDD is OK.
  2. you asked me to perform the chkdsk once or twice, isn't it?

once only. Sometimes (rarely) you have restart more than once for Windows to detect and begin scanning.

Does this mean that I have to re-schedule the chkdsk the second time from the beginning via cmd panel as instructed in https://appuals.com/run-chkdsk-reboot/?
    Or does it mean that once activated the procedure, it will run the chkdsk at every reboot and I have to turn it off somehow?
  3. Last but not the least, in the two references you gave me, there are two slightly different procedure suggested. In https://appuals.com/run-chkdsk-reboot/ it is said to simply type "chkdsk /x /f /r", in https://appuals.com/how-to-run-chkdsk-on-windows-10/ it is said that I need to specify the drive letter as well. Should I use the "chkdsk /x /f /r" procedure or should I specify anything?

Anything would work. If you do not specify drive but just type chkdsk /x /f /r , the system will begin with the "default" one or the one CMD is opened from. In most cases, this one is C:\
If you specific C , or D, or anything else, Windows Check Disk will scan that partition.
Just run chkdsk /x /f /r

Many thanks to you for your support and your patience.

Best,

Paolo

Hello,
My reply (comment) is above in RED color.

Kind regards,
IT_WinSec

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hey Paolo,

I analyzed the latest 2 memory dumps you provided but still the root cause is unknown - I mean no specific driver pops up.

• With regards to your Firefox comment and Kaspersky connection, did you uninstall it ? I do not see any previous comment you did it ? If you have uninstalled it, please give me a new log from Autoruns so that I can see if any active services/processes or drivers are still present ?
  • Did you restart your PC after uninstalling Kaspersky ?
  • A connection from the browser may be present due to browser extension of Kaspersky still left aside ?

Besides the comments above, I would recommend you do the following next steps:

• Perform the Check Disk
  • Uninstall Kaspersky [if not already done] and restart your PC
  • Get back to step (1) -> HP hardware diagnostics F2 -> boot into it and perform Component test - test the Memory - extensive test. Let me know the results

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

By the way, there is no need to provide new memory dump files.

It appears that the classic dump analysis from minidump files or kernel dump files is not working here as the issue is more complex and the guilty driver does not appear there.

-  If it is a software issue, a full memory dump file (=exact copy of the memory at the moment of the BSOD crash) should definitely catch the problem but only a very good developer would be able to analyze that type of dumps and provide specific advice - I am only a technician / engineer, not a developer, and I cannot analyze full memory dump files, I am afraid.

Without having a specific/concrete driver proven to be guilty, I will follow the classic path to troubleshoot such issue by ruling out all possible cases one by one and will hope to find it. We will try different things in attempt to avoid having to reinstall Windows.

HP Recommended

Dear IT_WinSec,

Yes, the comment about removing Kaspersky was in post 17 on the 25th, the one about also the HP support assistant and driver updates. My bad, it would have been better to dedicate a post just to it.

Anyway,

1. I run Autorun again and here is the output:
    With my great surprise, I noticed by chance some AVG remaining tasks (there was an AVG on the laptop before I removed it and installed Kaspersky). Could it be they are guilty?
  2. Should I run the HP hardware diagnostic before or after the CHKDSK?
    If before, I may run it immediately, it was pretty fast last time. Otherwise I may need to wait for the weekend.
  3. Could it help if I begin to uninstall wih Revo some of the other software that I installed since I have this laptop? Maybe the one I don't strictly need presently.
  4. Every time it run into a BSoD (a new one a moment ago, while autorun was running), something is not working: the start button, the browsers, the toolbar..then they start working again after one or two reboots.
    Aren't all these BSoDs damaging the system?
    For example, yesterday BSoD corrupted the file I was working on. I had to restore a previous version. And I am worried by all those thousands of errors and warning on the Event Log.
  5. Concerning again the CHKDSK: what happens if the system runs into a BSoD while the CHKDSK is working?
  6. Difficult question I didn't dare to ask before: Do you think we are going to solve this issue somehow?
    It is becoming frustrating and time consuming and it is making very difficult for me to work. Plus, once found the cause, how may I trust the system?
    For example (again, I'm sorry..) the thousands of errors on the Event Log should be symptoms that something else now has serious problems.
    I know that reinstalling everything without knowing the cause can be a waste of time, but sincerely, do you think reinstalling Windows may solve the problem once for all?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks for your support and your understanding,

Paolo

HP Recommended

Hi @Paolo18 

I am so sorry for the late response - I have somehow missed your last reply above. Just today I was thinking that I haven't heard from you for a while and decided to re-check your posts/threads and noticed the latest one. Apologies once again.

Here is my reply to your questions:

-1- Yes, I also noticed 2 entries of AVG left. These might be in conflict with Kaspersky but are unlikely to be guilty for a BSOD

-2- It does not matter which one is first, which one is last

-3- BSODs may damage a user applications and its data it is happens while you are working on a file or some database, simply because the data may not be saved prior to the BSOD.  BSOD itself happens to prevent further data loss because something tries to work in the Windows kernel in a way it should not.

-5- BSOD cannot happen during disk check because the disk check I have advised you to do happens before Windows is fully loaded. If it happens so that it freezes, we will know that the problem is in the file system/hard disk drive

-6- I am trying to file the root cause of the issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that it is taking a lot of time due to communication and also because some tasks take time.

If you would like, you can:

• Test again your hardware with F2 to ensure test pass
  • Attempt to create data back up/copies and save this on external drive or online
  • Perform fresh clean Windows reinstallation. This will remove all software issues that may be present at the moment.

# Instructions how to reinstall Windows 10 can be found in the attached PDF file below

# After successful reinstallation, avoid using 3rd party drivers (take from a website) and avoid installing 3rd party security apps (at least temporary) until you see your system is stable enough

Hope this helps ! Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Dear IT_WinSec,

Thanks a lot for your support and don't worry: I thought you were just busy as any normal person.

- Concerning the F2 test, it failed. I run it right now and this is the output:

Battery Check : Primary - OK (0)

Processor Check : PASSED

Wireless Module Check : PASSED

System Board Check : PASSED

Hard Drive SMART Check : PASSED

Hard Drive Short DST Check : PASSED

Memory Fast Check : FAILED

FAILURE ID : RQ91XR-8M8A1V-XD7X6K-40PL03

PRODUCT ID : W4N09EA#ABZ

Memory Module 2 : Bottom - Slot 2 (right)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Fast Test : FAILED

I also attached a picture in the usual folder:

It sounds evil. What does it mean?

What should I do?

- Concerning the clean installation of Windows: many thanks for the file you shared with me. For the moment I saved it and I am still considering if to resort to it or not.

- Concerning BSoD: since our last messages I observed that BSoD were seeming to happen when I had Chrome or Firefox running. Thus I thought it could be some remaining of Kaspersky. I uninstalled and reinstalled both completely this morning and since then I didn't experience any new BSoD.

- Concerning the CHKDSK, I trust you and I decided to run it, maybe tomorrow. Does the outcome of the F2 test changes anything concerning this?

- Concerning AVG, how can I get rid of them? When I removed AVG at the very beginning I already used the two software they provide (AVG Cleaner and AVG Remover, because I had no way to discover which version was installed) to clean up everything, but it seems they survive, still.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best and thanks again,

Paolo

HP Recommended

Dear @IT_WinSec,

Sorry, I made a mistake and I had a look on the forum about the Memory Check Failure and I didn't like at all the answers I found.

1. How could have happened that suddenly it  runs into a Memory Error?
  2. Could it be a false positive?
  3. Is it possible that this error has been caused by BSoDs?
  4. In case, can I continue using the laptop or there is the risk that I make more damages?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Many thanks and all the best,

Paolo

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is unusually long thread (apologies it took so long) but the good news is that the root cause of the BSOD has finally been found and it is a faulty memory. It is unlikely to be a false positive - it has just been detected.

No need to perform check disk, no need to reinstall Windows.

No need to panic.

You can double check by performing the most extensive Component test of the memory only

Get back to step (1) -> HP hardware diagnostics F2 -> boot into it and perform Component test - test the Memory - extensive test. Let me know the results

111.png

HP Recommended

It does not sound like a false positive, it is exactly what causes the BSOD.
Memory failure causes BSOD, not vice versa -> BSODs cannot corrupt your memory module (chip)

In the mean time, I checked your error code in an internal system of HP - RQ91XR-8M8A1V-XD7X6K-40PL03

• It tells me that the memory chip from slot 2 has failed and your PC is out of warranty.
  • Perhaps you have two memory modules/chips.

To give you a final advice and suggestions for fix, please post back the results from the memory extensive test

Provide a log from your system

Download and run the free version of Speccy  > http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Install and run the app

When it is ready scanning, click on File > Save a snapshot

A file with .speccy extension will be generated. Please, upload it somewhere (e.g. in your Google Drive) and give me URL to download/see it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.