20 17 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

ZBook 15 G5 BIOS Update Killed ThunderBolt 3 Dock

HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant notified me today of a new BIOS Update (v. 01.11.02), so I went ahead and updated (against my better judgment). This update also included an Intel Engine Management update (12.0.64.1551) and a CCG5 update (7.10.0). It seemed to go fine. 

When my PC finished its updates my Thunderbolt 3 Dock is no longer recognized. It passes power through, but none of the ports are working (USB, DisplayPort, Ethernet). Connected to my Dock are a USB Mouse, Keyboard, Hard Drive, DisplayPort monitor, ethernet, and bookshelf speakers. If I disconnect the dock from my ZBook I hear the "device disconnect" beep after several seconds. Likewise, when I reconnect it, I hear the "connect" beep. But nothing is recognized.

What I've tried so far after searching this support forum and Google:

* Verify BIOS settings for Thunderbolt Security Level is set to "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication". That's how it was set.

* Reinstalled the BIOS update. Went quickly, but nothing changed.

* Tried a second Thunderbolt 3 Dock with same results. No ports are recognized. 

I've also seen a suggestion to "Apply Factory Defaults" in the BIOS Settings, but I'm reluctant to try that until I see what advice the experts here may offer.  

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried updating/reinstalling the Thunderbolt 3 driver (sp96414.exe), but it doesn't see the dock. Get the message "Please attach the computer to the docking station to proceed."

Did a BIOS setting change such that my ZBook no longer sees the USB-C Thunderbolt dock???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
734 727 73 144
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

I think you are missing the software , needed with Zbook 15 G5 , to enable the connection of the docking to Thunderbolt controller included into your zbook.

you can try these two things:

1. temporaly change BIOS settings for Thunderbolt Security Level  from "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication" to NO security. You will rest back to  "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication" after you verified TB3 dock works
  2. install the software "Intel Thunderbolt 3 Secure Connect",  available at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-15u-g5-mobile-workstation/188656...

when you see it works , reconfigure"PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication"

bye

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll give that a try. 

Of course, the Thunderbolt 3 dock has been working fine for a year with this ZBook, so it's puzzling that a BIOS update would kill the Thunderbolt software.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the BIOS I don't see a way to set the Thunderbolt Security Level to "None". Here's what I see in the BIOS setting screen:

IMG_6907.JPG

What setting disables the Thunderbolt security?

0 Kudos
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also, which is the correct Intel Thunderbolt SecureConnect software?

Your link points to the ZBook 15u G5 laptop driver, v. 17.4.78.500 revB (8/13/19, sp98877.exe)

My laptop is actually a ZBook 15 G5, and shows this on the software update page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-15-g5-mobile-workstation/18865644

v. 17.4.78.500 revA (not B, 2/12/19, sp94993.exe). And says for "Titan Ridge NB", whatever that is.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Perhaps another clue:

When the Thunderbolt 3 dock is connected, I see its entry in Device Manager: System Devices: Thunderbolt Controller - 15EB. Under Driver Details it shows:

Driver Provider: Intel Corporation

Driver Date: 5/16/18

Driver Version: 17.4.77.13

When the Thunderbolt 3 dock is disconnected, that entry goes away. 

So my ZBook is sort of seeing the Thunderbolt 3 dock, but it's not able to use any of its ports.

I never should have launched this BIOS update!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
734 727 73 144
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

leave BIOS setting as it's , user consent

thunderbolt software ,

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-15-g5-mobile-workstation/1886564...

Install it, I don't remember if a reboot is required.

disconnect and reconnect the docking , TB software should ask you the consent to connect the docking to the PC.

bye 

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  Updating the Thunderbolt Controller Driver fixed it!!!  Didn't even require a reboot. You are a genius!

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation