Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant notified me today of a new BIOS Update (v. 01.11.02), so I went ahead and updated (against my better judgment). This update also included an Intel Engine Management update (12.0.64.1551) and a CCG5 update (7.10.0). It seemed to go fine. 

When my PC finished its updates my Thunderbolt 3 Dock is no longer recognized. It passes power through, but none of the ports are working (USB, DisplayPort, Ethernet). Connected to my Dock are a USB Mouse, Keyboard, Hard Drive, DisplayPort monitor, ethernet, and bookshelf speakers. If I disconnect the dock from my ZBook I hear the "device disconnect" beep after several seconds. Likewise, when I reconnect it, I hear the "connect" beep. But nothing is recognized.

What I've tried so far after searching this support forum and Google:

* Verify BIOS settings for Thunderbolt Security Level is set to "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication". That's how it was set.

* Reinstalled the BIOS update. Went quickly, but nothing changed.

* Tried a second Thunderbolt 3 Dock with same results. No ports are recognized. 

I've also seen a suggestion to "Apply Factory Defaults" in the BIOS Settings, but I'm reluctant to try that until I see what advice the experts here may offer.  

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

leave BIOS setting as it's , user consent

thunderbolt software ,

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Install it, I don't remember if a reboot is required.

disconnect and reconnect the docking , TB software should ask you the consent to connect the docking to the PC.

bye 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I tried updating/reinstalling the Thunderbolt 3 driver (sp96414.exe), but it doesn't see the dock. Get the message "Please attach the computer to the docking station to proceed."

Did a BIOS setting change such that my ZBook no longer sees the USB-C Thunderbolt dock???

HP Recommended

Hello

I think you are missing the software , needed with Zbook 15 G5 , to enable the connection of the docking to Thunderbolt controller included into your zbook.

you can try these two things:

1. temporaly change BIOS settings for Thunderbolt Security Level  from "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication" to NO security. You will rest back to  "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication" after you verified TB3 dock works
  2. install the software "Intel Thunderbolt 3 Secure Connect",  available at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-15u-g5-mobile-workstation/188656...

when you see it works , reconfigure"PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authentication"

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll give that a try. 

Of course, the Thunderbolt 3 dock has been working fine for a year with this ZBook, so it's puzzling that a BIOS update would kill the Thunderbolt software.

HP Recommended

In the BIOS I don't see a way to set the Thunderbolt Security Level to "None". Here's what I see in the BIOS setting screen:

IMG_6907.JPG

What setting disables the Thunderbolt security?

HP Recommended

Also, which is the correct Intel Thunderbolt SecureConnect software?

Your link points to the ZBook 15u G5 laptop driver, v. 17.4.78.500 revB (8/13/19, sp98877.exe)

My laptop is actually a ZBook 15 G5, and shows this on the software update page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-15-g5-mobile-workstation/18865644

v. 17.4.78.500 revA (not B, 2/12/19, sp94993.exe). And says for "Titan Ridge NB", whatever that is.

Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

Perhaps another clue:

When the Thunderbolt 3 dock is connected, I see its entry in Device Manager: System Devices: Thunderbolt Controller - 15EB. Under Driver Details it shows:

Driver Provider: Intel Corporation

Driver Date: 5/16/18

Driver Version: 17.4.77.13

When the Thunderbolt 3 dock is disconnected, that entry goes away. 

So my ZBook is sort of seeing the Thunderbolt 3 dock, but it's not able to use any of its ports.

I never should have launched this BIOS update!

HP Recommended

Hello

leave BIOS setting as it's , user consent

thunderbolt software ,

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Install it, I don't remember if a reboot is required.

disconnect and reconnect the docking , TB software should ask you the consent to connect the docking to the PC.

bye 

HP Recommended

Thank you!  Updating the Thunderbolt Controller Driver fixed it!!!  Didn't even require a reboot. You are a genius!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.