Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Z Book 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all,

My company provide me (and for other colleagues) a new Z Book 15" G5 with Intel I7 8850H CPU.
Everyone uses this Laptop notice that at first opened software active fans start (making a lot of noise) and laptop perfomance drop down making the pc totally useless with working software.
I checked with 2/3 software and i saw that when i open a simply software like a browser CPU's temp go to 80-90° C and i think that go in thermal throttling.

Every model of this laptop in my office (8/10 PC) has this problem, i have already update all the driver and BIOS .
Can you help me and my company to resolve this issue?
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the problem (and the "solution").
The problem was the Intel Turbo Boost, when it is activate fun go to 100%, cores temp go over the 100° C and laptop has several lags, my actual fast solution is disable the turbo boost setting in power option > advanced > Processor power managment > Maximum processor state at 99% .

I hope that intel and HP will find a solution soon, because turbo boost is a great feature, but for now (in this model) is only a problem.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

The Tjunction for your ZBook's Intel® Core™ i7-8850H processor is 100°C.

As long as the temp stays beneath 90°C there really isn't an issue.

You or the IT admin of your company can go into the  advanced power options. and change the system cooling policy and  the minimum and maximum processor state. Adjust those to where it suits you for when on battery power and when connected to the power adapter.

Have you already checked in the BIOS to ensure that Fan is not set to always on?

What kind of software are you using?

Are you using the ZBook as a desktop replacement or as a mobile device?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico and thanks for your reply.

I reach 90° C just opening a browser (chrome for example) but  the situation gets worse when i open a software more heavy ( we work a lot with several Virtual Machines or with Autocad).

Now i set the CPU  upper limit to 80% and i will test the laptop performance, but i think that isn't normal that a workstation like this (32GB of ram,quadro P2000, i7 8th gen CPU)needs a "downclock" to performe with normal working software.
In the BIOS fan isn't set to alwais on,
I use the ZBook in office/mobility mode, my work needs this kind of laptop but this model is the only one that gives me this kind of problem.

HP Recommended

You're quite welcome.

I would not expect the ZBook to get as hot as you have reported.

What is the ambient temperature where you normally use the notebook?

Do you use a notebook stand?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I found the problem (and the "solution").
The problem was the Intel Turbo Boost, when it is activate fun go to 100%, cores temp go over the 100° C and laptop has several lags, my actual fast solution is disable the turbo boost setting in power option > advanced > Processor power managment > Maximum processor state at 99% .

I hope that intel and HP will find a solution soon, because turbo boost is a great feature, but for now (in this model) is only a problem.

HP Recommended

That is interesting and disappointing.  Intel Turbo Boost is what gets the processor to its max clocks when requested by Apps and programs.

Good to hear that you found a workaround. Click on accepted solution in your previous post  so you can share your result with the internet.

I have not heard of any of my colleague experts having the issue you reported.

HP Recommended

This is a very useful workaround.

But I would not consider it a solution. Even when turbo boost is deactivated (max power state = 99%), cooling strategy is passive, there is virtually no CPU load (< 5 %) and the CPU package temperature is at only 50 °C, the fans still run at 3000 rpm on my ZBook Studio x360 with a Xeon E-2186M. This is much less noisy full fan speed (about 4800 rpm), but still truly annoying.

Of course you can further reduce the CPU clock speed, but you do not buy an expensive and heavy mobile workstation to reduce its performance to ultrabook level. And at least on my ZBook, I never manage to make the fans stops, not even at clock speeds below those of fanless ultrabooks.

MacBook Pros for instance (also 45 W TDP like the ZBook) allow much higher CPU temperatures before activating the fans. And they stop the fans rapidly as soon as there is a little less CPU load. 

Maybe one could tweak the HP fan management to allow for higher package temperatures? Does anyone know of a reliable way of doing so? Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Have the same issue with zbook 14u G5. This seems to be a thermal management/ fan curve issue with these new gen HP laptops and proably a result of them trying to make them ever thinner.

And no, it's not a viable solution, just a lame workaround.

HP Recommended

How can I read the fan speed of zBook G5?

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.