Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Ok, to take a second kick at the cat here...

Was on mobile and screenshots dont show for me on mobile...

So the batch file could not find kbcdrv.sys to copy it to system32....

2 options.

1. Make sure that kbcdrv.sys is in the same folder at the kbdfix.bat file. If it is not re-extract the archive. Also check to see if antivirus hasnt deleted it for some reason. I dont know why it would delete it.

2. Manually copy KBCDrv.sys to C:\Windows\System32 you may have to copy and paste instead of drag and drop due to system32 being a very protected folder. Rerun kbdfix.bat file and it will rewrite the registry keys and create the service and you wont have to worry about the file because you put it there yourself. Restart and should be good.

Let us know if you still have issue, i for one for the backlight super annoying and am thankful to find this fix.

HP Recommended

I can never thank you enough! I used to have the 2017 15" HP Spectre x360... after only 2 years the motherboard fried itself and HP wouldn't do a thing. So my fiance bought me the gem cut 15" for Christmas (I would have gotten another brand after the last nightmare but he knew how much I had loved it) but I was in Connecticut & didn't get to use it until after the return date had passed. When I saw the keyboard light going out I thought I had 2 hunks of junk instead of one. I have been searching since for an answer and was about to give up when I found this. I am now staring at my lit keyboard in amazement... it stays on until I turn it off. 😊  I'd also like to thank Smalls89 for repacking it and making it so easy to install.  Thank you so much!

HP Recommended
Hello, everybody. I've really tried everything these days. I can't make it and I'm desperate. Can anyone else please help me with teamviewer (remote) and try it on my laptop? Thanks I also pay
HP Recommended

Call HP customer service they will fix it remotely for you

They did it for me and everything is fine now and it was free !

HP Recommended

Hi Smalls89 and the community,

First, i'd like to thank you guys for sharing the solution you developed to fix this stupid issue!

I'm facing a problem with it, I've run the bat file as admin (with the KBDCrv file in the same repertory) and I get exactly the same message than Simbax3. So I've tried to copy paste the file directly in system32 and I got this :

Annotation 2020-02-29 183037.jpg

Could you help me please?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this essential fix!

After installing Smalls89's version of the fix I managed to get the keyboard light staying on when the laptop is plugged in, however when running on battery power the keyboard light still switches itself off after 30 secs of inactivity.

Is there a way to get this fix working also when running on battery power?

I'm using Spectre X360 13" late 2019 version.

HP Recommended

I don't either.  Any idea how to safely update using REGEDIT to keep keyboard backlight on longer than 15 seconds?

HP Recommended

I called today and they said that it is a build in "thing" that can't be changed.  So much for that?

HP Recommended

Funny answer comming from them, the tech that helped me was very nice and comprehensive of this problem.

He stayed on the phone the hole time until everything was fixed. you should maybe call back and ask to speek with someone else because there suppose to fix it, it's a warranty issue and they are aware of it.

Ask for Randy, he's the one that helped me.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply.  Will do this week. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.