Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I do not believe hp is going to take care of this problem but neither i can fix it with the provided hack/fix

here is the screenshot of the installation process of the hack/fix

unfortunately, after i restart my computer backlight timeout is the same.

please please please help me with this issue, my laptop is HP Envy x360 on Ryzen 5 3500u

P.S. latest BIOS didn't give me backlight option

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

ok i did some research

despite the fact that i can not see the service in services.msc or in cmd via 'sc query' command, i get message service is already running when i try to start service with command 'sc start KBCDrv' but it doesnt make backlight stay on.

so

1) service is running

2) all registry edits has been done (backlight doesnt turn on when i touch touchpad)

but light doesn't stay on.

please help me

HP Recommended

ZOOM1986,

1)  You need to reboot after making all the registry updates.

2) Create a .bat file with the following task commands:

sc create KBCDrv type=kernel binpath=C:\Work\KBCDRV\KBCDrv.sys
    sc start KBCDrv
    sc stop KBCDrv
    sc delete KBCDrv

3) Execute your .bat file in Administrator mode.

Your keyboard will now stay on indefinitely.  Tested successfully on  a HP Pavilion 16-a0032dx laptop.

4) Now to make it permanent by scheduling through Windows task scheduler to run your .bat file at system start.

HP Recommended

I just bought the HP 16-A0032dx Saturday at Best Buy.  I'm coming from a laptop with an always on backlight option so the 30 timeout is driving me crazy.  I've looked this thread over some but would you be able to tell me the steps to implement the work around you are talking about?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

I attempted to "recreate" the Windows driver on Linux using following code:

if (ioperm(0x60, 0xf, 1) < 0)
{
    perror("ioperm");
    return 1;
}

while (inb(0x64) & 0x1);
while (inb(0x64) & 0x2);
outb(0x97, 0x64);
while (inb(0x64) & 0x2);
outb(0x04, 0x60);

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me on an Envy 13" x360 (Ryzen 5 3500U). I'm just going to leave it here in case somebody finds it useful (maybe it works for other models?). Meanwhile, it would be nice if we could find out what commands need to be sent to turn on the backlight on Envy, because (based on other replies in this thread) it seems that the proposed fix doesn't work for them.

HP Recommended

Come on. The latest official BIOS update has again added the ability to change the backlight. update and do as you need/

HP 15-Ec0028ur.

HP Recommended

My 15-dk0010nr is running the most recent BIOS and there's nothing in there. I know you said that all you need to do now is update your BIOS but, kinda can't do that.

HP Recommended

I don't have google drive, can you put up a link to where I can download it, old school....

HP Recommended

Sorry to say but this don't work on a HP Pavillion x360 t14 100...

HP Recommended

Good news ! or maybe 🤔

I just hanged up with a nice tech support guy at HP and mentioned about this issue and showed him all of this thread.

I mentioned your posts and showed him the fix you made.

He was overwhelmed about your work and how this issue had become such a big irritant on the community.

He promised me that it will be showed to higher instances and that it WILL be fixed !

Now, I've been told the same thing 6 months ago by his colleague and well, you know the rest...

Lets just wait and see if this time they will finally do something about it

My doubts are high but then again, i still hope

2020 is indeed a very strange year full of surprises 😅

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.