Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I do not have a BIOS password. 

HP Recommended

I am aware of this key, but it only turns on, bright, brighter but does not turn on the back lights permanently.  They still timeout.  Why can't someone from HP with the proper background help with this question?  Why won't HP provide an optional fix for those like me who want one?

HP Recommended

My point was that I proved the OS does not enable the backlight on/off since if you were able to stop in the BIOS you would still be able to control the backlight. And I think I proved the BIOS doesn't do it either. The keyboard processor does it.

HP Recommended

I am fairly sure that the auto-fade is an OS function. If you have an American Megatrends BIO it will stop at password and you can see for yourself. If not I am fairly sure there is an HP driver that causes the aut-fade. Do you have an HP solutions function? (mine has gone). Or any reference to the proximity detector. As I recall (as I said mine has gone) you could control the amount of time it allowed to turn off and also the sensitivity distance. If you could find that you could maybe disable it.

HP Recommended

I'd like to thank Ecos__ and Smalls89 for doing the fix HP was supposed to.

My BIOS is up to date and there is no option to configure this.

This worked on a HP Pavillion 13-an0xxx, I only had to run the bat file as administrator, copy the KBCDrv.sys manually to C:\Windows\System32 and restart.

(Smalls89: "you may have to copy and paste instead of drag and drop due to system32 being a very protected folder").

Warning

this will disable the time out for the keyboard backlight and there is no turning back, some software updates may reverse it.

(This was very close to what i wanted to, and i'm very happy with the fix)

Until HP doesn't make a true fix, Do this at your own risk...

My results:

Bad results:

• The keyboard backlight remains on when the screen turns off or the screen saver kicks in.

Good results:

• The keyboard backlight button (F5 in my case) works properly; 2 levels of brightness(permanently on) and off(permanently off).
  • The keyboard backlight remains on permanently with battery saver on or off, if plugged or unplugged to power.
  • The keyboard backlight will turn off when the laptop goes to sleep mode.
  • The keyboard backlight will turn off when I close the laptop.

Again, thx for this fix, and do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

Dear all,

same problem with my HP Pavillo Gaming 15-dk0036nl. I followed the usefull instructions provided from the guys but i notice that it only changed the lenght of the backlight from 15 to 30sec. Any suggest about it?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

UPDATE. People are still blaming the keyboard illumination problems on Windows and not realizing how it works. On investigating I find the keyboard lighting is not part of the OS neither is it part of the BIOS. An HP keyboard actually has its own microprocessor that handles the keyboard matrix and sends codes to the BIOS and/or OS. It is that processor that controls the illumination completely independently. If you have a fade-out/in then the kb already has that function and the OS simply sends the fadeout command to the keyboard processor. At all times function F5 is active because that doesn't require any signal to or from the OS. However a time to fade out is definitely controlled by the OS. The OS has the timeout and at the end sends the equivalent F5 command to the kb. If there is a proximity sensor then that almost certainly is another bit of intelligent hardware that the OS communicates with then sends an F5 signal to the kb to light up again.

HP Recommended

This is a problem with quite a few HP laptops. This thread is 13 pages long and I don't think HP is listening to their customers..

We need to show them that lots of people care about this. Its a very frustrating issue that is being felt by thousands of people 30 seconds at a time!!! over and over again.

If one Dev spent a tint part of a day copy the bios code that is already written for many models we could all get on with our lives.

Sign my petition so that we can show HP that lots of people care and the issue is damaging their brand.

https://secure.avaaz.org/community_petitions/en/hewlett_packard_developer_team_keyboard_timeout_sett...

I hope I can help by seeing this through to the end. Help me HELP YOU! 🙂

HP Recommended

Nice way.

I think you should modify title  even for pavillon

HP Recommended

Yeah I wanted it to come up in a search for that model but I do realise there are probably heaps of models but I didnt know which ones were affected.

Maybe people could reply with their model? It might also help when I show HP my efforts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.