Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I had a planned power outage last week so I left my computer unplugged. Battery was very low when power came back and replugged it and since then I have been getting a black screen when I start my computer after a long sleep saying that my battery is no longer working. I tried doing an HP Hardware analysis but the 'battery check' came back cancelled and the second battery check came back failed. It works fine when plugged.

Does this mean I need to change my battery? How could it have stopped working within 5 hours?

Is it worth changing? Where do I go to have it changed?

This is my work computer and despairing.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253827027485?hash=item3b1945121d:g:w8cAAOSw8HpgMSZ~

You are not going to find one anywhere in a retail bricks and mortar store...have to order online. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Can we have the model of the laptop? If it is more then 2 years old odds are almost 100% it needs a new battery. We can help you find one and instructions to do the replacement. When the battery is older it may seem to be working OK but if you discharge it too low it will be the last straw for it and it will give up. Cost of a battery is going to be $40-100 depending on the model. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's an HP Spectre x360 convertible.

It's definitely more than 2 years old.

I am thinking of getting another computer but was thinking of keeping this one as just in case (if the battery and installation were not too expensive).

Do you need my location?

HP Recommended

Well you are in Canada per your profile. What I really need is the model or product number of the laptop so I can locate the correct service manual and the exact battery to use for replacement. 

How to Find Your HP Laptop Model Number (Video) | HP® Tech Takes

HP Recommended

Hi,

My model is Spectre x360 Convertible

Product no.: N1R87UA#ABA

HP Recommended

First you want to test the battery just to be sure its not another problem (small chance I think but better to know)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771

Let us know if you need help running the test. We may need to see the advanced results unless you get an error Code or the test will not run. Assuming the battery is bad:

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

pages 28-30 show "how to". 

Battery, 3-cell, 56-WHr, 4.96-AHr, Li-ion (includes cable) 789116-005

5 star amazon product:

https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-13-4000nf-HSTNN-DB6S-789116-005-788237-2C1/dp/B08R9N3TTV/ref=sr_1_...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

As I mentioned in my post I ran the HP PC diagnostic test: 1 battery test was canceled and 1 battery test failed. Everything else passed. Is this a different test?

Thanks for the Amazon link. Is it hard to change? Should I look at a "Bureau en Gros"/"Office Work" for them to change it for me?

HP Recommended

Not sure what test you ran. There are a couple different options to test but they all basically do the same thing. If your test could not complete, then I am 99.99% sure the battery is bad and you can't get more certain than that with electronics. The battery replacement is about a 3 on a 10 scale with 10 being replacement of the motherboard. You know how your skills are with a screwdriver and I do not. I just know a lot of end users have reported doing it without any laptop tech experience. A tech might charge you maybe $60-100 to do the work so adds quite a bit to the expense. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I contacted repair shops in Montreal and they quoted much higher rates for the battery but that they would install it for me (however since they didn't order it they couldn't ensure that this was the correct model).

So I just wanted to double check with you that this was indeed the correct battery for my model before I order it on Amazon.

Thanks again for all you assistance.

J

HP Recommended

That's the right battery

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.