Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
presario cq42
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

hi hp! 

this is dorababu, using hp presario cq42 notebook pc since 5 years. processor in the pc is intel pentium inside. can i now upgrade my processor to the i 5 processors? of not is there any other better processor to upgrade this processor?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Need your exact model number to know 100%. That laptop is older than the i5 and i7 processors. It uses the older Core 2 Duo family of processors. On most of those models if it has a Celeron or Pentium processor it has a "defeatured" motherboard that will not accept a Core 2 Duo. The Celeron and Pentiums are in the Core 2 Duo "family" but they are missing some advanced features like speed control so if you put a higher procesor on it may not run right even if it fits in the socket. Again, devil is in the details and if you give us the full model number we can tell you exactly which CPUs you can install. 

HP Recommended

Hello,im using an Hp 2000 with pentium 2.4ghz and i want to upgrade to i5 or i7 is that possible?s-l600.jpg

HP Recommended

Your picture is yet to be approved by the moderators, so I can only go on "HP 2000". If I have found the correct Maintenance and Service Guide, the Core i5 and i3 models use a different system board to the Pentium and Celeron models, indicating that your proposed upgrade is impossible without also changing the system board.

Even if you could change the processor, you would be limited to the parts originally used on these systems - you can't fit a current Core i5 processor. If I've identified the correct model, you're talking about parts five generations back from the current 8th generation Core processors. 9th generation Core will start to emerge over the next few months.

The age of your system suggests you should be cautious about what you spend on it. The parts will be getting towards the end of their design life, with an increased risk of failure, also everything will be older and slower than current components. If you want a performance boost from the system, you might get a bigger boost in responsiveness from changing the hard disk to a 2.5 inch SSD rather than a processor change to a faster processor of the same generation. More RAM might also help if you don't have 8GB or more already (though this assumes you have 64 bit version of Windows installed; on a system of that age you might not).

HP Recommended

Hi. Is it possible to upgrade my CPU from intel pentium to a higher one such as intel core i5? My HP laptop model is 14-r251TU. I believe it was a model from 2015. Thank you.

HP Recommended

No it is a Pentium N series and is soldered to the motherboard so cannot be removed for replacement and upgrade. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.